Do flat screen monitors normally last more than 3 yrs.?

I just bought one for my husband and am wondering if it'll be worth it. This boxed monitor is old but still works fine after so far 6 yrs.

Can I expect the flat screen's life to extend longer than 3 yrs.?

Thank you.

• Bill C
    Favorite Answer

LCDs(flat-panel monitors) last for just as long, if not longer than CRTs(big box monitors).

The only thing in an LCD that usually goes out is the lightbulb for the backlight, which still generally lasts 10+ years. I've seen many laptops from the 90's that are still going with no issues.

I have also not heard of any reports of "dead pixels" appearing. A dead pixel (a pixel on the screen which is stuck on or off, or somewhere in between and never changes) is caused by a manufacturing defect, and unless you drop the screen you'll never gain any of them.

• C-Man

Flat screens may last 5-6 years, but they do become dimmer over time. You'll see the decrease in brightness after even just 1 year- it won't be horrible, just less snappy than when it was new. After 2-3 years, it will look noticably dimmer.

Dead pixels, if any, are usually there from the beginning and barring physical jolts/shocks you probably won't see more over the lifespan of the monitor.

Obviously, monitors that stay on 24/7 generally die sooner than those which only run for 4-5 hours a day, and get turned off when not in use.

• Tara

A wide screen run at a different resolution then does a standard monitor. I going to guess that you will need to run at 1440 X 900. Right click the desktop and choose "Properties". Click the "Settings" tab and use the slider to pick the resolution that you monitor requires. If the correct resolution does not appear, try loading the software that came with you monitor.

Flat Plasma screens start going wrong after the first 3-4 years.

Have never owned one but in the process of doing so right now. But if they have a life of 3 years only I think I will give them a miss.

I would say it should work for at least that long. Minus the dead pixels which happens more and more with age.

Not really.. The flat screens aren't all that they are cracked up to be

an LCD monitor has plasma in it. Plasma tends to run out over the years.

i have one and i have it since 2001

no due to the heat they produce

if u could put ice pack on it then u'll have it for long lonnnnnnnnnng time

Source(s): do not do it if ur smart