Xenia asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog drags my slippers from wherever she can find them, and just sits with them. It this normal?

She's a female Sheltie 1 yr old puppy who does not like it when when I leave her alone in the house. She only does this when I'm gone.

• Pichi
    Favorite Answer

Sure is! Shoes/slippers have very concentrated scent of you, and it comforts her.

I have a dog that would pile ALL my shoes from my closet on to my bed .. my WATERbed ... and nest on them .... LOL!!

I'm not sure if it's normal but it is completely fine.

She probably just wants some toys (does she have any) does like to chew things up! But if she is just sitting by them then maybe she just gets the toy (your slipper) and then gets a little too lazy to play with them.

Or she just needs a friend! Joking!

Don't worry at all it's nothing big

:)

Your slippers smell like you and she wants to be near your scent. Almost all dogs do this. Even my cats do that. My cats sit on top of a pillow of a piece of clothing that I have worn, cause it smells like me. Your animals miss you when you are not around (even if it's just for a few minutes) lol

Talk about loyalty, eh! hehe

*hugs*

Merry Christmas

• Z

Adorable isn't it??? My dog did that too. When i first got her she used to sleep inside my shoe; i wear a size 14, and she was very very tiny After a few weeks she couldn't fit anymore, she just dragged them around and wherever she went my shoes went with her.

I think it had something to do with my scent being on the shoes, and her being lonely, i guess it made her not feel all that lonely

• ®

One of my female dogs does the same thing. She never tears them up, just carries them around and lays with them. I think she either thinks they are a baby pup or because it has my scent on them. I think it is cute.My dog does this whether I'm home or gone from the house. Merry Christmas to you and your dog.

Ok... one quick question: how do you know she does it when you're gone. Ultimately, she probably looks for something that smells like you, or something she knows you use and sits with it because it comforts her while you are away.

Shelties are very loving dogs, but they don't like to be without their owner very long.

Very normal. She misses you! The slippers are like a security blanket.

Yes. I think it's perfectly normal that she does that. I believe that the slippers are like a security blanket to her. With your scent on them, she feels closer to you, and it's comforting to her, when you are not there.

Put the slippers up

yes,very normal,your scent is on your slippers,its comforting to have that scent nearby.

If its not slippers it would be wallet,underwear,gloves,anything you have close to your body or handle often.She loves you.She wants you close all the time...the next best thing to having you close by is to have the scent of you....let her keep the slippers.Appreciate the love,and understand this is why she does it.