Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 decade ago

Do you think that Santa is necessary for Children......I think that the whole santa thing is stupid?

I mean that we lie to our children that santa is coming , when they are LITTLE then when they get OLDER they learn the truth......and then they THINK THAT WE LIED TO THEM.!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNOW IT IS GREAT FOR A CHILD TO IMAGINE, BUT THIS MAY BE GOING TO FAR..........

• xoxox
    Favorite Answer

i dont think its wrong. because if you tell them the truth then they have to keep it a secret from their friends who don't know the truth. and they would have to lie to them to tell them Santa is real. If they learn at a good age like i did, they know that the Santa thing is what every parent does. and they will accept that it is not a lie and its just part of Christmas Spirit. my sister says when she has children she wants them to know the truth about Santa. but then i said so they would walk through the mall seeing all the kids who to believe in Santa sitting on his lap. they would be missing that. thats one less child picture you would have of your child happy. excited to meet Santa. they would stop believing in the Christmas songs. like Roudolph. and all the reindeer. how would you like to feel to know that you have done that to your child. it would be ruin much of their Christmas spirit and their Christmas in general... please think about this

• You must not be a parent. A parent would know that it doesnt matter if they lie about Santa. Its the joy that the parent sees in their Childrens eyes when they wake up to find Santa has come and left gifts. Its the joy when they thank santa, which is really you. Its also a joy when people ask "Santa is coming soon, aren't you so excited?" and just at the Word Santa their eyes light up with joy. you must not be a parent because if you were you would know that joy is too good to pass up.

• KathyS

This question has been asked to death. I have never known one single child that became mistrusting because of Santa. Besides that, Santa does exist in many ways, he was made a person for young children to understand the concept and it's a wonderful concept.

• Xeod

Of course Santa is not necessary....but I don't think letting small children believe in magical & wonderous things is bad. Kids grow up and have to deal with life's harsh realities soon enough. I feel sorry for any children that are not given the opportunity to enjoy their childhood, expand their imagination, and learn about family love & the spirit of giving that Santa embodies.

Well the legend of Santa is based in fact, but thats another story.

I think the idea of Santa is wonderful for children of all ages.

I'm 34 and still believe.

Just because a man in a red suit doesn't come down my chimney, even if I had one, doesn't mean that the spirit of St. Nick isn't alive and well.

Maybe we should start by telling them the Real story about Santa Claus when they are old enough to accept it that is. When they are small I think they need the idea of the Santa that we all grew up with but as they get older the REAL one is more appropriate. If you yourself don't know it check out this site it's great.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=23

• Tigger

I agree with you. I'm a Christian, and didn't do the Santa thing with my kids. If kids find out Santa is pretend, won't they feel the same way about Jesus? I have heard of that happening before.

I agree. We haven't decided what to do for our daughter yet. I didn't have Santa growing up and I never felt deprived at all! One of my friends teaches that Santa is a symbol for St. Nicholas and that he reminds us to have a giving spirit. They don't do the whole

"Tell Santa what you want for Christmas" or even that Santa is real, but they still encorporate him into Christmas.

The Santa mystery can certainly be fun. But is it right? And how fun is it when they find out that their parents misled them?

Why teach children to believe in something that isn't there? Isn't it better for children to be taught to appreciate the real giver of gifts, who at Christmas time is usually their parents? Also, why not teach children about the true God, the God of the Holy Bible as someone who "sees you when you're sleeping - knows when you're awake..." We benefit from learning at an early age that we all have an accountability to God for our actions, not an accountability to Santa.

Santa is almost set up as a "god" who can do most anything for children.

"Do not be misled, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, for it comes down from the Father of the celestial lights ...." (James 1:16, 17)

This highlights that the ultimate giver of good things is Almighty God himself.

Even as a child, I always prefered the truth to anything else. Truth also helps to instill in children that they can trust what their parents tell them.

No, I don't think so and I still remember believing in Santa. I certainly don't hold it against my parents for having lied to me about this. There's nothing greater than a child's imagination.