I have a question, regaurding a "menstrual" issue?

I have had always had slightly irregular menstrual cycles, ranging form 25-46 days. They are never the same in length (which may contribute myself & my hubbies difficulties concieveing in the past.)

I called my doctor to dicuss this & was told that i may not be ovulating if i have a 46 day cycle. I am awaiting my appointment date to have this checked out.

I KNOW that i am not pregnant, as i've been abstinent for awhile now. (Hubby's deployed.) I know that stress can interupt a womans cylce. I do have considerable stress.. and i've noticed that my cycle has been 46 days in length since he left. (I track my periods carefully.)

I can not remember ever being THIS out of whack with my mensus before.

Anybody know anything about this kind of thing?

Sorry, should've added.. i am not on any form of birth control.. not for at least 2 1/2 years now.

(I've had side effect from the depo. shot/pill/patch just to name the few i've tried.. although the patch DID even my menstrual cycle out i couldn't handle the side effect of it.)

I do eat well, i'm a vegatarian.. have been for years. I am a health fanatic when it comes to the way i eat, VERY picky.. i take a daily vitamin.

I've been excercising daily (aerobics mainly to get the heart rate up..) to relieve some of the stress, it does seem to help some though i still have alot of physical tension i can't seem to get rid of. (probably won't 'till hubby is home, you know?)

I got the basal thermometer, it states on the inst. to wait until first day of my period to start taking my temp. ?

Favorite Answer

maybe contraceptives pills are having side effects, best to take the doc's advice more professional

Maybe one ovary is working and the other isn't - thus the 46 day cycle. Sometimes if an ovary isn't working (due to various reasons) you can skip a cycle.

Stress is another reason.

Not ovulating is another reason.

I am sort of having the same problem but never 46 days. More like 28-38 days after being off the pill for 8 months now. You could ask for an FSH blood test to check your hormones which triggor ovulation. Also you could ask for an ultrasound of your ovaries I think the 5th day of your period they can see if an egg is mature enough to be released. Endometriosis and POCS can cause irregular periods as well.

When you go to your Doctor ask him/her about PCOS in the mean time research PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom). This may answer a lot of your questions. In my opinion there are mild forms of PCOS and severe forms of PCOS (I'm severe). But, while your waiting for your Dr. appointment there are several things you can do to help the Doc out. Take your temp every morning you BEFORE you get out of bed. The thermometer that you will use is called a basal body thermometer, inside will be a grid sheet (make copies) if possible. This grid will show you and your doctor if your ovulating by recording your temp. (when you ovulate it spikes high). This will help the dr also see how your fluctuating from month to month. Another thing is when you research PCOS there are a lot of on line "test" you can answer the questions and see how you rank with the PCOS. Good Luck and I know how frustrating it is!

• daisyk

The hubby being deployed, and the stress that naturally goes with that seems like the obvious explanation.

You might want to try getting one of those basal body temp thermometers just to find out if you are ovulating or not. It will be a lot easier to work with fertility docs if you already know that is or isn't happening.

Yes, stress and overrall "health". If you are under considerable stress, as you indicate, and if your body is not getting adequate nutrients, then this could contribute to the 46 day cycles. Stress-relief; i.e. exercise, prayer, staying busy with freinds, etc., and a healthy diet; i.e. balanced between "good" proteins and carbs, should make a difference in your cycle. Sometimes when people are stressed out they don't eat enough or very well, so make sure you watch that closely. Give it a try and see if there is improvement.

I know that when i was on the pill, i would go three four months with out having a period. I was on the pill for six years....(to be noted). I was trying to get pregnant for the longest time when i got off of it. i was off for about two and half years up till now. but i couldn't have a regular period even after i got off. I spoke with my doctor about it and she said it would take up to six months for my body to act normal again. I started to have normal periods after a year i was off it.

i think u should go and consalt a doctor