Which type of birth control is best (other than the pill or natural planning)?

First: Sorry for any TMI!!

I just had my second little one just after Thanksgiving. I have until the second week in January to make up my mind on birth control. I do not want to take the pill (ortho gave my migraines, seasonale never stopped the flow). And condoms give me bladder infections. I am considering either an IUD (depending on insurance coverage) or the shot. Please share any REAL LIFE experiences with either of these forms of bc. Also, share any experiences/ recommendations for any other form that I am over looking. THANKS!!

Favorite Answer

I was on the shot for three years, and it does cause bone loss along with weight gain. Iwould'nt recommend it. I have had an IUD for the last four years. Not one single problem!! They last from 5 to 10 years depending on which you get. I have the Mirena and it's good for 5 years. They're typically low hormone so no weight gain. Very convenient, you don't have to think about it. And on top of it I don't have to deal with horrible periods anymore, just some occaisonal spotting every two months or so, only for about two to three days. I love it!!

I have been on the shot for about 5 years. I really like it. I did not experience any of the side effects that some people have--I've had no weight gain, and no loss of sex drive. I've not had a period the entire time I was on it and I don't have cramps or bloating or any of the other symptoms of PMS. The only caution I would give you about the shot is that recently, there were studies that showed there may be a link between long-term use of the shot (more than two years straight) and reduced bone density. In this study, any of the women who had a reduced bone density regained this loss within a year of going off the shot. I talked to my doctor about it and he said that if you are active (which I am), that should balance out the effects of the shot. I would speak to your physician about this, though. I personally would give it a try. Other options include the nuvo ring (I have not tried this and don't know anyone who has). You could also consider the patch. I tried this and didn't like it at all. Because I work out a lot, it didn't stick to my skin well, and I got nervous it wasn't going to work. Plus, in the summer it's hard to hide it. I don't know the specifics, but I've heard (at least anecdotally) that IUDs can cause scarring on your felopian tubes, making it difficult to get pregnant in the future. This is something that I would strongly urge you to research, even if you don't think you want kids right now. Good luck!

Im 25 & was on the shot for 8 years. I was just recently diagnosed with Osteopenia. Iam very close to having Osteoporosis, thats something that is in old people, which is a loss of bone mass, if I was to fall today i would probably break a hip. When they say the shot can cause bone loss THEY MEAN IT!!! Unfortunately I didnt think it could be that serious. But it was, they said if I would have continued the shot, I would have been crippled in 10 years! SO now im taking calcium supplements & trying to build the bone mass back up.

I would suggest not getting the shot. Dont get me wrong, I loved only having a light period or spotting once every 3 months, but it wasnt worth it.

OH, unlike alot of women it didnt make me gain 1 pound. I was actually hoping for a little weight, but it didnt happen.

i HAD THE SHOT, HATED MADE ME GAIN WEIGHT, MOOD SWINGS, AN FLOWED FOR 3 WEEKS OUT OF THE MONTH. I HAVE HAD THE IUD FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS IT IS GREAT!! PERIODS ARE EVERY 28 DAYS (AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN REGULAR), NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL. I HOPE YOU HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH OR CHOICE

I started using the NuvaRing about three months ago, and really like it.