? asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Christmas gift for grandpa?

My grandpa is coming to NYC this holiday!

I'm sooo excited!! I love him.

he's a great man! although he lives far from me but we do have a close and wonderful relationship.

what to give him? anything special? he's from Tokyo anyway... and he's 75.

~MERRY CHRISTMAS~

Favorite Answer

do you have pictures of you or you two when you were little???? make a scrapbook for him with those pictures...he would love that. And an American turtleneck shirt is always nice. Foreign people from other countries come to America and love turtlenecks for some reason.

Have a great Christmas to you both :)

• I felt like I should go on google and read up on Traditional Japanese gifts... so I could sound educated and impress you. But I looked... and all that stuff seemed so cliche and sorta... almost racist to suggest. And anyway, he lives in Tokyo. He can get those types of things whenever he wants.

Why not get him a nice fitted Yankees cap, or jersey. I've gathered via the media that the New York Yankees are pretty big overseas these days.

Plus whenever he sees the NY, he's going to think of his granddaughter who lives there.

• Have a nice visit! You should look up sites on the internet about Japanese gift giving, and Omiyage... It's quite elaborate in the Japanese culture, and the way the gift is wrapped and presented is every bit as important as the gift itself. There are rituals and protocols that are followed. No matter what the gift, if you honor these rituals precisely, your efforts will be appreciated and admired.

If he presents a gift to you, first pause to admire how it is wrapped and presented, complimenting him on its beauty. Unwrap it very carefully, taking pains NOT to tear the paper or cut any ribbons, etc. Once the gift is unwrapped, fuss over it like it was the best thing you've ever received, and tell him that it was "too much."

• Merry Christmas to you too

(the best thing you give a person is love) you can get him a card and say something very kind and loving or a watch(gold), and you could take him out for dinner(something he loves to eat).

Something personal. Like a picture of you and a letter than he can read over and over once he gets home. Tell him about you and your life, your hopes, dreams and ambitions. Spend time talking to him while he is there - but gauge his energy - don't overwhelm him. Go for a walk and show him arounf your neighborhood, but be realistic - he can't go too far or too fast. Tell him that you love him and are so happy he is visting. What more could he want. Write to him after he leaves.

• James

Geritol!!

Just kidding. Merry Christmas!

Get your photo taken by a professional photographer in a studio and write a message for him on it.He'd love a picture of his beautiful gran-daughter to take home with him.

One year I really had no idea what to get my grandfather for Christmas, so at age 25 I had my picture taken with Santa Clause and yes I was sitting on his lap. My grandfather loved it.

• Gail

possibly Get him a book. One on golf might be good. Or maybe you could get him some new golf equipments cuz he likes golf. Or a book on foot ball. Or you could get him tickets to a football game for one of the teams he likes.

Grand parents are awesome, they love anything. I bought my grandfather a hat and he wears it everyday. I am giving him a new one. He says that it covers his bald head. He is 84. Good Luck.