If someone dies while in a nearby state, is the family responsible for paying to transport body back home?

Elderly neighbor wants to see Portland one more time before he dies (is now terminal) but family is worried about the cost of transporting him back to New Mexico if he does not survive the trip. He plans to be cremated - could he be cremated in Oregon and just the urn then shipped back to NM? Do the state authorities have jurisdiction over this - are there laws regulating it or it is just up to the family? Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you are responsible for this. my suggustion would be to talk to a funral home in your home state and prepare them for this. they can then contact a funral home in the event that he passes while out of state and have them cremate him and then send the ash's home. it might not be a bad idea eather this way he can choose the urn he would like to rest in as well and you can tie up some of the loose ends in his wishes and way. i know from experiance tho, the funral home will take care of the death cirt. for you as well as anything else you may need.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, the family is responsible for the costs. If the family chooses not to bring the body back, then the NM authorities will give the neighbor a state burial (i.e. dump the body in a wooden casket in an unmarked grave) at the expense of the state. State authorities don't handle stuff like this or pay for it. If they want the body, they have to bear the expense.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would think that cremation in the state where he died is the best choice, with shipment of the ashes to his family. But, better check with a mortician in the state where they are to be shipped.

• 1 decade ago

Wow, I wish we'd had this kind of notice.

My father passed away unexpectedly in another state. His wish was to be cremated, so we had him cremated in that state (Colorado) and then the funeral home here (in Missouri) arranged to have him shipped back for the service. The hospital and funeral homes took care of everything, so it was thankfully uncomplicated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.