Why do African Americans back into parking spaces?

I live in a mixed-race community, and all the white people just pull in to their spaces, while African Americans back into their spots. I'm not trying to sound bigoted or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Thanks!

Yeah, I already said that I wasn't trying to be bigoted. I guess making an honest attempt at understanding your "culture" is construed as bigoted, which is bigoted in and of itself.

And by the way, I'm Asian, for all you African American racists that hate white ppl.

Crazy Cat Lady, thank you for not instantly assuming that I'm a racist because I asked a question about African Americans. I tried to be as polite as possible, but I guess some people just don't like people that look and act differently.

Y'all are a bunch of whiny, "Poor me, I'm being hated on" wimps. It's a simple question. If you asked why white people like mayonnaise, I doubt you'd be met with such hostility.

You bigots disgust me.

Favorite Answer

I've wondered this myself. All of my black neighbors in my apartment buildings back in to the parking spots. The funny thing is, they can't seem to back in straight. I don't know what it is. One of my neighbors even purposefully takes up two spots so his truck won't get scratched. Good question.

• My girlfriend is African American and I found this question humorous. She always backs into parking places and I asked her why. She stated something like "you never know when you are going to have to get out of somewhere fast....". I'm not sure exactly what she meant by this being she is a law abiding person and does not allow herself to be in shady situations. I just laughed and have gotten used to her always backing into parking places.

To avoid arrest for "D.W.B." ("Driving While Black")

we are such law-abiding drivers, I guess,

that we hold the parking DIAGRAMS in the DMV driving manuals in the highest regard and back in as shown..

Or perhaps, living in America has accustomed us to keep an eye on our rearview mirror,

because in this country we have less to look forward to.

Then again, it could be that we have the habit of looking over our shoulder at "Miss Daisy" sitting in the back seat...

I hope I have helped you to better understand some of the more complicated aspects of the much misunderstood but highly esteemed and most "Colorful"

African-American Automotive Culture.

And remember:

"Black" rhymes with "back".

Also

"Baby Got Back" has its "Roots" in the "Hood"

even though it refers to "Junk in the Trunk."

(another anthropological phenomenon of

African- American Auromotive Culture. (A.A.A.C.)

umm i dont do that u dont know all african-americans so shut up!!!!!

havent we learned stereotypes are gay damn its the 21st century

i aint racist my boyfriend is white, and actually if u ask some white people stuff like that they do get offended, my bf does he thinks it is gay, and i dont whine about nothing i earn what i got, i dont need no affirmative action and specifically black scholarships, i can make it in this world without that, because i dont need things to help get me by i work just as hard as the white man does

the reason i responded the way i did is because people ask me lame questions like that all the time it makes me mad its like anytime i do something they assume we all do it if u were in my shoes u would feel the same way, its annoying i am a human being like everyone else.

i never ask questions like that about other races and backing into a parking space isnt cultural. here in ohio i never really see to many people of any race backing in!!!

You see two or three people back in and you think that means something? FYI, backing in is much safer than backing out. If you listened to your driving instructor then maybe you would know that. So they're probably just smarter than you, that's all.

This is a stupid question, what if I asked "why do white people pull into parking spaces?" Have you any idea how stupid that sounds?

...so they will be seated in the back of the parking spot?