EXTREME ALLERGY to CINNAMON or CLOVES, NEED ADVICE!!!!?

The symtoms are condusive to a food allergy and are something I've developed in the past year. Originally I thought it was cinnamon. Cannot chew Big Red gum, potporri room spray and spice candles leave me fighting for breath. Oatmeal cookies, carrot cake leave me with a scratchy throat after one bite. We've spoken with doctors about it and they said it could possibly be cloves, since they are in most items to enhance the cinnamon flavor. I've also been told there isn't a scratch test to confirm this allergy and that it gets worse with age??

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of allergy and can offer any more information?? With the holidays coming up I'd like to have a better handle on this since pretty much everything is spiced. So far I've been popping Benadryl and keeping an inhaler around, but it only slightly helps.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    With all allergies, your best bet is to avoid the allergen -- however, given the Christmas season and spiced cookies and mulled wine and such goodies, you could have a really hard time.

    Allergies can definitely become worse with repeated exposure to the allergen. Can you tell people that you are going to visit that you have to avoid both cinnamon and cloves (until you can determine the exact spice or spices that are causing you a problem).

    The other thing is that you might want to keep taking Benadryl on a daily basis, the full dose (and you might consider "extra strength" at this time) so that you have antihistamine in your system BEFORE you are exposed to anything. Having the antihistamine in your body before you are exposed can help to reduce the severity of your allergic reaction.

    If you are interested in some "natural" things you can do, one thing I have tried and had success with is using higher doses of vitamin C to help control reactions. I take from 1500-5000 mgs of Vitamin C (depending on the severity of the reaction). It can really help.

    Source(s): Allergy writer for AllergyRelief101.com
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    RE:

    EXTREME ALLERGY to CINNAMON or CLOVES, NEED ADVICE!!!!?

    The symtoms are condusive to a food allergy and are something I've developed in the past year. Originally I thought it was cinnamon. Cannot chew Big Red gum, potporri room spray and spice candles leave me fighting for breath. Oatmeal cookies, carrot cake leave me with a scratchy throat after...

    Source(s): extreme allergy cinnamon cloves advice: https://trimurl.im/h48/extreme-allergy-to-cinnamon...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Mild cinnamon allergy is fairly common. In fact, most people are sensitive to cinnamon, that's why is tingles in your mouth.

    You need to do research and find out as many places that cinnamon is used as possible if you are this allergic. You may even want to get an emergency injector pen for severe allergies.

  • 3 years ago

    The same thing happens to me. But I do splurge on a carrot cake or pumpkin spice muffin here and there. A little swelling and tingling but oh well

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    WOW I LOVE CINNAMON! THAT SUCKS! but yeah, just two days ago I was wrestling and I fell on the floor and got these weird rashes. The doctor said I was allergic to something on the ground and he put ammonia on me, which is a substance released in your pee... its embarrasing, but if something external starts to really itch, try peeing on it... sorry, its weird but its true.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.