Diadem
Diadem asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

In your opinion, public officials taking oath on the quran, should we allow it?

I say..heck no!

I wouldnt touch the thing except to hold a match to it.

Favorite Answer

The choice is not just between the Bible or the Quran. I believe someone should NOT be taking an oath on a book which advocates principles and actions contrary to the Constitution the person is supposed to defend.

He could swear on a dictionary or a stack of Popular Mechanics magazines for all I care, but having read the Quran, I dont think you can uphold the Quran and the Constitution. When it comes to questions concerning the Bill Of Rights, you will have to make a choice between the two documents.

Source(s): Self-inflicted literacy

Personally, i think yes. If that is the Holy Book that they believe in, they should be able to take an oath to it, why should they take an oath to the Bible if they are Muslim, it just doesnt make sense, i think they should have the right to make an oath on the Quran.

If it's their religious book, why would you ask them to swear in on something else? it would be meaningless. Our country is hardly Chrisitan in action, why hold its officials to its Holy book?

As a Christian, I don't want anyone telling me I have to do anything. I'm pretty sure Muslims feel the same way. They are people after all, and Jesus would love them just the same.

What is your reason for not allowing it? Besides being a bigot that is.

The Quran and The Bible are pretty much the same thing. They are both books of fiction. If a elected official wanted to take their oath on the Lord of the Rings, they should be allowed to.

the oath is taken upon what ever is sacred to you , oaths first began when men would grab their testicles and swear on them, I am not a Christian nor Muslim, if I took and oath it would be upon my Sacred Prayer Pipe. To force someone to swear on something they dont beleve in would invalidate teh oath as well as the principal of religious freedom

Actually, I didn't think they were supposed to swear on the Quran, but if it's a Bible to him, he can swear on it if he wants to. Not like that oath means anything anyway, they are all just a bunch of crooks.

Our country was founded upon basic religious rights, therefore would it be logical to ask say....a buddhist to swear upon the Bible when it has about as much signifigance to him as a dictionary? Really, I believe if a Muslim wants to be sworn into office on his sacred book then I am ok with it.

If we allow Christians to use the Bible, we should allow elected Muslims to use the Koran. There is no harm in it - this is their faith, and if they want to use the word of their Lord, then who are we to say no?

If we deny them that religious right, then we should deny it for all. How about we have our officials be sworn in with their hand on the Constitution? Then maybe that way they won't forget what they are in Washington for.

Evidently Elect. Rep. Keith Ellison, Minn. does not want to swear on the bible. He don't believe in the Bible. He wants to swear in on the Quran.

In the quran it says convert the infidel or kill the infidel. Where do you think this muslim's priority's lay? After all, it's his faith, do you think he would turn against it? Just look at France and England and get a bird's eye view as to where we are headed.

America was founded on diversity, and freedom of religion. How dare we be hypocritical and say that they should not be in office, nor vow on their particular religious book. The constitution is diversity, I believe those who are against it should read the document of which our forefathers and our society holds in such high esteem.