Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Curved space? 4th dimension? Theory name?

I read a theory once about the universe curving back around to itself. So for example: You sent a probe away from earth in a straight line. Barring any contact with other stars or objects the probe would eventually end back up in our solar system.

Does anyone know the formal name of this theory?

Favorite Answer

Hmmm...

I think you misunderstood the concept/theory of "folding space."

Please "google" it.

I don't have the spirit to explain...

It's called a "closed universe"....meaning the shape of the universe is simultaniously "boundless and closed"...much like how the earth's surface is...where you could walk a straight line and barring obstacles, wind up back at the point you started. Only, in the case of the universe, it's 3 dimensional space being curved into a 4th dimension...into a 4D shape called a HYPERSPHERE.

Only problem is that according to recent discoveries, it is no longer beleived that the universe has enough mass in it to cause it to gravitaionally curve over on itself like that.

Boomerang Theory

The universal truth

• AD

Not sure..but I think it is "something SPACE" lolz.......not sure about it though..sorry