Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Curved space? 4th dimension? Theory name?

I read a theory once about the universe curving back around to itself. So for example: You sent a probe away from earth in a straight line. Barring any contact with other stars or objects the probe would eventually end back up in our solar system.

Does anyone know the formal name of this theory?

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer


    I think you misunderstood the concept/theory of "folding space."

    Please "google" it.

    I don't have the spirit to explain...

  • 1 decade ago

    It's called a "closed universe"....meaning the shape of the universe is simultaniously "boundless and closed"...much like how the earth's surface is...where you could walk a straight line and barring obstacles, wind up back at the point you started. Only, in the case of the universe, it's 3 dimensional space being curved into a 4th dimension...into a 4D shape called a HYPERSPHERE.

    Only problem is that according to recent discoveries, it is no longer beleived that the universe has enough mass in it to cause it to gravitaionally curve over on itself like that.

  • 1 decade ago

    Boomerang Theory

  • 1 decade ago

    The universal truth

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • AD
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Not sure..but I think it is "something SPACE" lolz.......not sure about it though..sorry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.