What do you think about Josephine Baker?

she was the African American showgirl that was the rage in Paris in the 20s and 30s with her topless banana outfit. Was she a positive figure or not?

Favorite Answer

Yes. She did a lot of charity work and she adopted children from all over the world, to prove that children of different races and nationalities could live together. Also she was a civil rights activist.

• Beau R

Not to many people would even know of her. Unfortunately she was the victim of prejudice, in America, and went to France to avoid it. Had she stayed in America, she could have become a positive figure.

I think she is wonderful....I don't here her music too often but when you do you know right away that it is her. Very sexy, yes I do believe that she was a positive influence. I think allot of great singers that came after her thought of her as an inspiration. Even Christine Aguillara has said that she is inspired by her music.

she did more than wear scanty clothes; she spoke fluent French, and adopted children from many different countries; she said she wanted a family with 'all the colors of the rainbow' and did a lot for all her children....so she certainly deserves to be remembered with fondness and gratitude for what she did for those children and also for black women everywhere...

Had she stayed in America she would have been stuck cleaning houses for white families. Such was the era.

She did better for herself in France.

Yes, she was one of the first known Black dancers

Well, not too positive but she made it known Black women are sexy and vivacious.