Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Has anyone ever built a Pennsylvania rifle from scratch?

I bought a barrel and lock, have made buttplate and trigger guard and ferules ,nosecap etc.I am carving stock from a blank of wood.what problems did you encounter?

figured it would be something fun to do in winter! I have barrel inlaid and lock too.barrell is pinned having trouble with butt plate and shaping!!my arms are wore out!

Favorite Answer

I have built a rifle such as you are working on now. I, too, had trouble fitting the buttplate because of the many compound curves. My solution was to use one of those pattern duplicators that consist of a bunch of pins held together by two parallel bars. I pressed it against the underside of the buttplate to get the exact vertical curve and laid this out on the stock. I cut the curve being sure to properly orient it so that the curve does not tilt up or down. Next I pressed the pattern duplicator against the underside of the buttplate to get the horizontal curve. I laid this out and rasped the stock to those dimensions. Next, I marked the top of the buttplate on the stock and carefully cut the outline of the tiop of the buttplate using a sharp knife. All I wanted to do at this point was to mark where I needed to cut away wood to allow the top of the buttplate to fit up to the stock. I then measured the thickness of the top of the buttplate and carefully cut to this depth with a sharp chisel following the line that I marked with the knife. From this point, I would blacken the underside of the buttplate with soot from a candle flame and press the buttplate into place. I would rasp away the black spots, reblacken the buttplate and fit it again. I kept doing this until the buttplate fit up the way I wanted it to. it is a slow business so don't try to short cut it or you will mess up a potentially nice rifle. There are a number of good books available to help you build your rifle. One is "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" available from Dixie Gun Works. There are many more in addition to this one. Go on line to www.dixiegun.com and look through their selection of books. You can also give them a call and they will be very helpful. I don't have their phone number but you can find it on www.anywho.com. They are located in Union City, Tenn. They also carry about every piece of equipment or part that you need to build any kind of blackpowder gun up to and including cannons. Another source is Track of The Wolf. Do a search on your computer for them. They have a giant selection of gun parts and books to help you. Also, you might try contacting The National Muzzleloading Rifle Association in Friendship, Indiana. They are a wealth of information and can put you in touch with a representative in your area who can help you or direct you to someone who can give you some hands on help. I think their web site is www.nmlra.com.

• I made a kentucky 54 call flintlock and built it all. My biggest problem was keeping the flash pan and striker assembly working properly. Bedding that long forestock was a challenge too.

• John K

THE TOUGHEST THING IS GETTING THE INLETTING CORRECT AND A STRONG ENOUGH WRIST THAT WON'T BREAK WHEN DISCHARGING THE RIFLE.

THAT IS ONE BIG BUNCH OF WORK YOU ARE DOING.

I BUILT ONE FOR A FRIEND. WILL NEVER DO IT FOR ANYONE ELSE BUT MYSELF AS THERE IS SO VERY MUCH WORK INVOLVED

ENJOY

• Jon W

Well, the Pennsylvanians did ...