Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

cdb774 asked in TravelCanadaNiagara Falls · 1 decade ago

Do I need a passport or not?

Okay, I have talked to several different ppl and keep getting different please, someone tell me the truth!! I am going to go to Canada (Niagara Falls) on June 1st of I need a passport? I will be driving with 3 other adults, I talked to a hotel personel up in Canada that said we would need one, a bank currency ex-change personel here in Ohio that said we would need one...and then an operator at the border patrol that said we wouldn't need one...........who should I believe???? I really don't want to fork out a couple hundred for a passport, just to find out that I didn't need it to begin with....any idea's? Help?

Okay, one more thing...any tips on what to take to Niagara Falls or places I must see??? This is my first time!!!

14 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The response from Barkley Hound is straight from the US Department of State. A passport for driving from Canada to the US will be not be required until January 1, 2008.

    I have no idea what Canada requires.

  • 1 decade ago

    Whether you will need one for this trip or not, I highly recommend that you go ahead & apply for one. In the future, every country will require this as identification - right now in the US we only need our driver's license, but with the global security issues going on right now, that is bound to change. In addition, should you ever want to travel further than just across the border you will need a passport anyway. It is not very expensive, and the passport is generally good for 10 years. I would take the word of the Canadian hotel personnel, as they are probably more versed in the laws of their land than the border patrol person here in the US. It is certainly not a "couple of hundred dollars" to get a passport - you can get a same day passport from some services for $49.00. Go to the US Dept. of State link below to get more information on how to apply for a passport (they also have all the forms you need to go through the mail, an online application, fee schedules, new requirements for travellers and approximate application processing times posted there).

  • 1 decade ago

    Okay, if you're in Canada, travelling through Canada, you do not need a passport. The only time you need that, or other Id is when you're crossing the U.S./Canada border. Since you are drivingin from Ohio, you will need at least 2 pieces of ID, one with a photo. I would get a passport, but talk to some at the U.S. embassy, or Emigration. They would be the only ones who would know this. If the border patrol said you wouldn't need one he/she may be right, but double check at the se other places to be sure.

    Good luck and have a safe trip.

  • 1 decade ago

    This is because nobody is exactly sure. What is sure is that by Jan. 23rd a passport will be required for AIR TRAVEL. The original target date for LAND travel was Jan. 2008 but could be as early as June 2007. This is doubful because of the rush of people who will suddenly be applying. But if you wait and then find you need one you will have to pay hundreds of dollars for a passport. Since you have 6 months you can do the basic application which is $97 dollars and say ten bucks for the pictures. Why risk waiting for the price of two dinners out? Its good for ten years and during that time you may want to go to Bermuda, get married and go on a honeymoon, etc. As ID requirements for a license in a new state, buying a house and opening a bank account and such are going to continue to tighten its good to have the definitive ID.... a passport. No other documentation required for anything. Just get it and rest easy that you are covered for your trip no matter what.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Ok I live in Niagara Falls, USA so maybe I can help! As of 01-01--7 you will need a passport to enter Canada. This has been a really hot topic around here this year. They finally passed the law. On the American side, Niagara Falls is very depressed. Hardly any restaurants. Very little shopping.I've never been on the Canadian side but everyone tells me it's great. Alot of partying, partying,partying. There are casinos up here. You must go and see the falls as it's a sight to behold, but dress very warm because it will be cold. I hope you have a great time!

  • 1 decade ago

    I don't think you have ever needed a passport before but I do know that someone says the laws are changing in 2007 so if i were you i would go online and type in passport and go to the government site. There they will have all the new laws and all the places you will need a passport for. Plus you can get information on fees, time it takes to receive a passport, and any other information that you need. I hope this helps you and have a great time at niagra falls.

  • 1 decade ago

    Not if you are driving.

    Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The new passport regulations are only applying to if you are traveling by air - they won't go into effect for traveling by land or sea until possibly January 2008. You will be fine to cross the border without a passport, I would suggest that you have a copy of your birth certificate with you when traveling.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes as of January 1, 2007 all persons traveling in and out of the country will need a passport. Check out the government sites. This is part of homeland security. Actually, you might want to check out homeland security's website as when I worked in an immigration law firm this webpage served us.

  • 1 decade ago

    A passport or your driver's license and a copy of your birth certificate is necessary to cross the Canadian / USA border. Soon the border will only be crossed with a passport. Getting out of the United States with your driver's license is possible, getting back in with your driver's license is near impossible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.