my 10mo. pit pup bit my mom cuz of a scarf around her head, but has never done this before can he be trrusted?

he's known her since weve had him and has never bit anybody else w anything on there head.my son came in w/ fake antlers on and he acted like he was gonna do the same thing.if you dont have anything on your head hes fine.we love our dog and dont wanna get rid of him but i dont want him to hurt anyone.what should we do to keep everyone safe including our other 2 dogs?

Favorite Answer

I'm a animal control officer i deal with pits all the time, i love the bread but it depends where you got the dog an it's back ground. i feel if the dog bits once it will bite again good luck.

I personally would not have gotten a pit bull to begin with; but the real question to me is how much do you value your family. I will not keep a dog that shows aggression towards anyone unprovoked because of the liability.

If you are asking the question here it sounds like you already know what you have to do. Be responsible and put the dog down before you lose a family member or friend to the dog. That dog could cost you your freedom and the life of a total stranger. Wake up and get the dog put down.

• Lane

I think you know the answer. A dog that attacks your family is not a dog you want to have.

Also, if your dog attacks someone, like the mailman or something, you can be liable from a legal standpoint, especially if you knew the dog has a past history of aggressiveness.

Pit bulls are dogs, therefore they are loyal and loveable. But they were bred to have a bad temperment and to fight other dogs- you can't train them not to do that, because that is what they are. You'll be much happier with a good natured, gentle dog that you don't have to worry about.

Also, at 10 months old, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Lets put it this way, you know the dog cannot be trusted around people who might be wearing something on their heads, cold weather is here, people wear head coverings to stay warm, this means the dog will be exposed to people wearing head coverings, it's only a matter of time before he attacks another person. In my house, if the dog had attacked even ONCE, we wouldn't have to worry about taking it to a pound, I'd take him out back and give him a dose of 12 gauge.My familys well being is worth more than a dogs life, especially a dog that can never be trusted.Your familys well being should be worth more to you than what you have shown here.

I will NEVER understand people like you. You sit there and scratch your head and wonder why a pit bull does exactly what it was bred to do.

I think you already know what you have to do. Why leave your wife and kids, not to mention anyone who comes into contact with this animal at risk?

You also have documented, right here on Yahoo Answers that this animal now has a history of attacking humans, leaving yourself wide open to a nice big fat law suit that even a first year law student could win.

My advice is, get over your macho need to have the toughest dog on the block and get yourself a Poodle.

Pit Bulls are, by nature, very mean, aggressive dogs. No matter

how much training they've had, most will rebell and become vicious. There are laws in several areas of the Unites States

where it is illegal to own them because they tend to be a public danger. They are, now, banned in my city because there were several cases of pit bulls with no history of violence turning on their owners for no reason. Two adults were killed and, in one case, a year old pit bull killed it's owners new baby.

You might love your dog, but a pit bull is a very bad, dangerous choice for a pet. I wouldn't take any chances.

I would take the dog to the local humane society.

Then, I would get another dog. Something that isn't so dangerous.

get rid of the dog before he kills your son,it may sound harsh but hes a pit bull,that's what they are bred for,fighting and killing other pit bulls,not to be peoples pets, think of your child's safety and your family's safety,an adult has a better chance fighting off the dog if he does get crazy an decide to attack,but a child will have no chance against a 70-100 pound dog,do it for their sake, good luck,and when i mean get rid of it i don't mean pawn it off on some other sucker, i mean euthanize it in a humane manner(,22 MAG to the head works very well)

I wouldnt trust him, I'd put him down. I know you "love" the dog, but I'm sure you love your family more. And if you get give it to someone else it just becomes some one elses problem. Its not worth keeping a dog like that around, I'm sorry but its the truth, I'm not trying to be condisending.

If you like that kind of look then I'd suggest a boxer, english bull dog or my personal fav boston terriers. You probably know all that stuff anyway.

good luck.

Source(s): Dog owner all my life. I've been around alot of pits, and am sorry to say that IMHO, they do not make good family pets.
  • I had a cat once that would attack anyone that was wearing a rain coat. Any other time and she was fine. I know that a dog is a much bigger threat. If you want get a hold of the local pound and find out if they have a dog behaviorist(most pounds do). they can determine if there is a real problem. Until then just make sure no one comes in the vacinity of him wearing anything on there head.

• 3DDD

A dog that bites will eventually cost you a lot of money.