Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

Problem connecting a printer over a network?

i am trying to connect an Epson CX4800 printer from my parents computer to mine. The comps are connected via a wired ethernet network.

i set up up the printer to be shared by other users. when i when to install it on my comp, i when to the "add printer" in the control panel, i did a Browse for printers and typed in the name "EpsonCX4800" (the name i gave to the shared printer) but it isnt showing up. under the box that says Shared printers, it reads "microsoft windows network" but no printers. when i try to continue, i get a "You need to specify a valid network printer name" message. i dont know what to do now. ice done everything i can to my knowledge.

how do i get it to recognize?

i havent checked the computer names yet, but they should be the same. i can share and access files between both computers.

Favorite Answer

Make sure that both computer are setup on the same Workgroup

Right Click on 'My Computer'

Properties

Computer Name tab

Click on th 'Change' Tab

Under 'Member Of' make sure the names are the same. You can name it anything you like but make sure they are the same on both computers. You will need to reboot both machines after changing the name

Make sure the computer with the shared printer is on

On your other computer go to 'My Network Places'

Double Click on 'Entire Network'

Double Click on 'Microsoft Windows Network'

Double Click on 'Workgroups'

Double Click on 'the workgroup that you named'

Double Click on 'the other computer name' and the printer should be listed

Just Double Click to install the printer (say 'Yes' to the question about installation)

• Evelyn

This is not an accurate answer. But I had, accidentally, re-loaded the LPT1 port on my laptop connected to the internet by an adapter (no wires). I found out that the Panasonic printer was claiming the port was required for the Quicken PDF (internal printer). This is not so. If you check your printer properties the Q? PDF (I assume other PDF printers are the same), it will give an error message "printer not active error -30". When I open Quicken though it does print reports (LPT1 ready status and no listed printer). Good luck! I would uninstall all printers and start again.

Got to make sure both machines are in the same workgroup. Control Panel, system, computer name.

the driver of you printer .you can go to net to find one and setup the printer.without driver of printer the printer is not work.