honey
honey asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

What do you think about the article relating intestinal bacteria to obesity?

Favorite Answer

It's an interesting link. If you read the article carefully, it doesn't imply that the bacteria make people fat. It could very well be that the bacteria change happens after the weight gain. It does, however, have possible implications regarding helping people lose the weight. If the bacteria populations can be medically returned to normal, it's possible the person would be able to lose weight more easily. It also has implications for people that are underweight (even for malnurished children in other countries). If the bacteria in their guts can be changed, to, it's possible they will be able to uptake more calories and gain weight.

It is NOT proof that there is a direct link between bacteria & obesity nor is it an excuse for the fat people to claim. It just states that there is an association between them, not that 1 will cause the other.

However, I believe that obesity is CHOICE that we make in our everday lives. Of course some of us are delt with better genes, but when it comes down to it, ultimately WE make the choice of what to eat, how often, and when to stop....DON"T BLAME IT ON THE BUGS!!!

I think there is a lot of research going on to try and DISPROVE that fat people are fat because they eat too much.

If the bacteria helped to create obesity, then the bacteria would be there in the stomachs of people starving in drought ridden countries. These people would all be fat even though they are living off a meagre diet - because of the bacteria. However, you never see it, because all the people are thin because they are not eating much.

The truth is obesity is caused by eating too much and exercising too little.

I believe that it is worth additional research. It could easily be the same as everyone doubting that stomach ulcers were caused by a bacterial infection, but we now know that is true. It could be a similar thing with weight and obesity.

All the other answers that were so rude to overweight people were total BS. God, people are so rude and pathetic. How about thinking that all thin people are ignorant?

I think people are always looking for an excuse.

If a person is overweight it's because they're overeating. Nothing fancier than that.

I've got compassion for overweight people. I once weighed 318 lbs myself. I know what it's like. Fortunately I found a way to lose quickly and have been 118 for 5 years.

Everybody needs an excuse for who or what they become. Otherwise we might have to acknowledge that we just didn't try hard enough at being something else. That God for bacteria.

i think it is an excuse for fat people to stay fat

well another excuse, is what i think