How early can gender be seen visually?

Friend had m/c at home with 11wk old baby. She saw what she thought was a penis. But I thought you couldn't tell the gender of a baby that early. Any thoughts? Did she truly see the male sex organ?

Favorite Answer

okay, those who told that its 18-20 weeks when you can tell what the sex is... is right but wrong.... its 18-20 weeks with an ULTRASOUND. But with the naked eye, babies develop their "parts" around 11 weeks, its possible she seen a penis.... but also not possible... I dont know, but i know that with the naked eye, you can tell waaay before 20 weeks.

at 13 weeks I had an ultrasound and you could see the baby (looked like a little peanut) they did all of their tests and my mom got to come in and see the baby on the screen I told her that I thought my baby looked like a boy ( she wanted me to have a girl really bad) as soon as I saw the baby on the screen at 13weeks I truely felt like I was haveing a boy .. the ultrasound tech. laughed and said that even it it was a boy it was too early to tell that his private parts aren't formed yet... I found out at 20 weeks that I was haveing a boy.. and they say much early then 20 weeks is even hard to tell the sex of the baby .... some women just know tho like I knew as soon as I saw him on that screen at 13 weeks I was haveing a boy !! some women know and some don't... I'm so sorry to hear about your friend it must be awful to have a M/C

Your ultrasound is usually scheduled between 16 and 21 weeks. the gener will be more accuratly told around week 20 and 21, but ultrasounds are not always 100 %. Sometimes the gender thought in the ultrasound is incorrect.

Gender is not defined until 13 weeks, and not usually able to be determined with any certainty until around 16 weeks. By 20 weeks, they will usually tell you with some degree of certainty. She may be mistaken on the gender, having seen the umbilcal cord and mistaken it.

Good luck!

Approximately 18-24 weeks is what my understanding was. They told me the gender at 20 weeks with both my kids.

At that stage is could have looked like a little bump but it doesnt form into a male or female until about 14 weeks.

i thought it was not until the sixteenth week that you could see in the ultersound the gender of the baby. however i dont know if the sex organ just apears then of its finally visible. let her believe what she wants its got to be hard to have a m/c

11 weeks is too early to tell. 14-16 weeks is the very earliest you can determine gender visually.

I heard that as early as 16 weeks. I'm 17 weeks and my Ultrasound is scheduled for two more weeks. YAY!

5 months