How can i best insulate my floor before carpeting or laying hardwood?

My home is on a concrete slab and is very cold in the winter. I am planning on recarpeting and/or using hardwood (laminate). Is there something I can put down prior to carpeting to keep the coolness or moisture out?

Favorite Answer

There is a thin layer of foam insulation you can put down under the wood floor. I have it under mine. It actually helps in muffling the sounds as well as insulation.

A good padding under the carpet will work.

• Evelyn

Nature's Miracle is absolutely what you need as the other contributor suggested, but you also have to seal the area to prevent moisture in the air from revitalizing any remaining remnants. What is sealing, you ask? It's polyurethane varnish that you need to paint onto the wood that had been affected. It doesn't have to look good if you're laying carpet on top of it, but the floor does have to be good and dry. This also works on cement floors, btw.

You can use Thermax sheet foam insulation. It is available in many thicknesses, is a radiant barrier and is High-R. Seal the joints between the panels with foil tape. This will keep your room dry and cozy, and your wallet happy.

padding? without breaking up the concrete and installing that, oh crap, what's that type of heating where they run tubes through the concrete and using water, it heats your house......anyway...i would suggest getting carpet vs. hard floors. hard floors are always cold. also, get a dehumidifier if you have problems with moisture.