I painted and the cupboards started peeling, what do I do?

I thought I was painting unstained wood, but after I painted several cupboards, they soon started peeling. What should I do? My cupboards are in an unfinished state.

Favorite Answer

Mystic462 has hit the nail on the head. Your failing paint job will have to be completely removed. If the cabinets had not been degreased they will need to be. A thorough sanding, followed by a good oil primer, then two coats of a quality finish paint. You can get good results from a latex finish paint but some hold up better than others in this application. talk to the sales people at the paint store and ask them for a product for kitchen cabinets. most manufactures have products that lend themselves to this task more favorably than others.

• Shar

Did you use an acrlyic paint? If so the wood may have been treated with an oil-base, in which case, acrylic will not holdup on an oil base. Try removing the paint you applied and then use an oil-based paint. I had the same problem when painting my house. Was not aware that an oil base had previously been used. The whole paint job peeled.

• Joe K

After you get done sanding and/or stripping off the paint, prime it with Glidden Gripper. Thats indeed the best primer that I have used. I actually used this product to paint ceramic tile in my bathroom and the paint job is still holding up after 6 years.

Regardless of whetehr they were stained, they were still likely sealed with a clear coat. You'll need to lightly sand it to score the surface and then use a good quality primer. Even on unfinished would, you need to prime.

start over, this time scrub them well ,and make sure to rinse the soap off thourghly. after they are completely dry use a primer, you can get it the same place you get paint, and follow the directions on the can,your results should be great!

You could just sand down your cupboards...and buy maybe an oil based paint...

You need to put a stripper on it. Wear a mask and gloves it's strong stuff. Go to a good hardware store they will tell you which product will be best and anything else you have to do.

You are going to have to strip them and sand them down. Then you need to prime them before repainting.