Why do so many photographers only want to shoot semi-nude and lingerie shots?

Is there no more market for a conservative model like myself who just wants to do clothed, not sexually-provocative shots?

Favorite Answer

It’s very simple. There are two reasons; the first is that what you don’t see is even more stimulating that what you do see. The human imagination is a very powerful thing, especially in males. We fill in the blanks in our own minds; we see that we like to see. This leads me to my second point. It is a hard fact that not everyone looks good in the nude. Things tend to hang in unpleasing ways when not supported by some sort of clothing. Completions or skin color is not always appealing in every square inch of the body. Since nothing is left to the imagination, then a person fully nude may not be attractive to everyone.

This also holds true to being fully clothed. Your body has to enhance the look of the clothing. If you look stunning in an outfit, then the impression is that the person that buys it will look stunning also. Being able to pull this off is no simple task. Not every person has what it take to model clothing. There is an also very strict size, height, weight, and look restrictions to fashion models.

For this reason the photography industry is a much closed society. Photographers tend to use the same models over and over because they know that they can make an outfit look good no matter what it is.

As a photographer myself, I admire your convictions and can understand your feelings. But don’t be too restrictive. Accept assignments where the clothing is skimpy as long as what your wish covered remains covered. Be up front with the photographer with these restrictions. It is very frustrating to me to hire a model for a nude shoot only to find that she is not willing to show nipples when she arrives. Ask if you can have some photos take of you in different outfits. If I’m doing a lingerie shoot, I have no problem getting a few shots of the model in sports ware or an evening dress that she brought with her.

Most importantly, get your face out there. Post photos on model web sites, advertise yourself in the model community. Above all else make a reputation for yourself as a reliable, hard working model. You will eventually find photographers begging to work with you

• Gail

I don't think questioning a photographer's sexuality is legitimate. I would think a nude shoot alone with a photographer is unwise and would hope such a shoot would be carried out in a professional situation in a studio with other staff like assistants, make up artists, tea boy, the work experience, chaperones and so on present. I think you only question people's sexuality when you're thinking about entering into a sexual relationship with them. If the photographer didn't find the human body attractive they probably shouldn't be photographing the human body. Some photographers photograph cars because they find them attractive, same with landscapes, same with naked bodies. Answering an ad in the back of the newspaper to model naked and ending up in some suburban house alone with someone with a camera is a little off. And the best erotic photographic art will be produced in studio with at least a few people working, the same as if they were photographing a tomato ketchup bottle for an advert.

Some photographers are out to make a buck , some are perverts, photographers who fit either of these catagories are going to find shooting semi-nude and lingerie in their better interests. I'm sure there are other photographers willing to shoot in the style you wish to model in you just have to bypass all the others. I f you're a model perhaps you need to first find a reputable agency or company to model for and the reputable photographers should follow. Good luck!

Source(s): I did 2 portfolios on fashion.

Personally I don't think there is anything on the planet more photogenic than a beautiful woman's body. I suspect most of these photogs would prefer total nudity and are just too afraid to ask. I specialize in portraits so you wouldn't have to strip for me.

Is there a market for you? Maybe. It will just take more patience. Hang in there and best of luck!

• Bob

Because the majority of photographers are male. Now the second part of your question has nothing to do with photographers. It has to do with their clients. Society, at least in the USA, falls for the advertising that promotes products stating that you can have sex with beautiful people if you buy their products. As they say, "Sex sells!"

Pro photographers take picture for their clients. Talk with a modeling agency and discuss your situation and preferences beforehand.

Source(s): pro photographer

Define 'semi-nude'.

you know, when water is scarce, then only human will cherish it. when you see a reservoir, water is nothing to you. this is human nature. =)