Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Clunking noise in the rear of my '02 Ford Taurus?

I need help. The rear passenger side of my Taurus makes this funny clunking/rattling noise whenever I hit small bumps or make turns. I just had the rear struts replaced 2 days ago and the mechanic told me that would fix the noise. It did for about half an hour, but then it started again. What could possibly be making this noise? Is it something I should worry about?

Favorite Answer

It can't be the axles since this is a FWD car and the noise comes from the rear. A pox on the individual who posted that answer.

Common causes for this sort of noise on the rear of a Taurus would be a broken coil spring, worn strut mounts or broken stabilzer bar links.

Presumably since they had the back end all apart of the springs or the stabilizer links were broken the mechanic would have noticed. So the question becomes, did they replace the strut mounts along with the struts?

On a Taurus the ideal repair would have been to install what a complete strut/spring/mount assembly. These are marketed by Monroe as the "Quick-strut" and applications are now available from other manufacturers as well. Using this part is easier since no disassembly of the old strut assembly is required (less labor cost) and since everything is replaced in one quick step, you take care of all the common problems that might cause you to come back.

PS

I don't normally recommend replacing just rear struts, especially on a FWD car. Worn struts on the front and new in the rear can result in an oversteer condition.

It's possible the strut "mounts" were not replaced as this is the top of the strut assembly which usually gets re-used. You might ask your mechanic if these were replaced, if not then they are the ones making the clunking noise as there is a rubber insulator that wears out. I still assume your car is a front wheel drive and you are talking about having replaced the "rear" struts, right?

There are no "rear" axles on the rear, unless you have a 4-wheel drive car. Hope this helps.

Source(s): ASE certified mechanic, 35 years experience.
  • hachez

2001 Ford Taurus Rear Struts

2001 Ford Taurus Struts

You say this is in the rear. If you are sure I would guess at a broken coil spring or possibly bad bushings. This is something that needs to be heard.

Also, with the engine off and exhaust cool. Have someone about your size sit in the drivers seat. Lay behind the car and wiggle the tail pipe up and down and back and forth... see if maybe that is bumping on something.

Still cant find it? then I recommend, since you had it repaired, to go back and have them check it again!!!

Sounds to me it would be your rear strut or shock needs to be replaced. Just give the shock a good shake if you can get at it. If it rattles or moves then you found the issue. Fairly simple job, but knowing it's a ford it could be nasty.

Have the bushings interior the sway bar checked, it won't be a undertaking to locate in case you will get the noise with the automobile status nonetheless. it would be seen. Have the automobile raised up on a wheel raiser so as that it quite is bounced via hand. I agree, it quite is possibly a foul ask your self, or something left loose.

It is your axles. So that would make it your passenger side half axle. If you think this is not the problem then its your shocks. Get this fixed asap. Dont want to drive with three wheels do you?

maybe your exhaust it hitting on something.i was going to tell you its the bearings,but they wouldnt make that kind of noise.check your exhaust.iam not sure,but i think you got trailing arms on that car.you might check them,the bushings could be wore out.