Grad S asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Why would costco not let me (non-member) to buy a costco gift card for my sis(who has a membership)???

This is what my collegue asked me and i have to somehow give him a valid answer for it----turns out he kept saying that they lost business coz his sis wont have tht gift card to use there??

Offcourse i am not a member but shouldnt i be able to give "their" card to one of "their" members to buy stuff from "their" store??

One of my thoughts is that....if i buy say $100 gift card and give to my sis and she goes to costco and uses it...she will be getting stuff worth say $110 for $100. On the contrary if I was a member then they they wont mind giving it to me coz they will be getting $110 from me anyways for tht $100 gift card...does that make any sense????

All ur answers seem pretty straightforward and point to teh same thing--which i totally agree---Costco wants him to get a membership. But somehow when i tried thinking thru it----they made me look like a fool--so now I am trying to get some strong point on why Costco would have done such a thing---so I come out as an intelligent person and not a fool---which by the way iam not--ha ha ha:))

Favorite Answer

Just explain that they are petty bureaucrats.

• linnea

Costco Gift Card Non Member

I'm sorry that happened but when you set all of the emotional stuff aside the bottom line is because he didn't have a membership there. Because sis does doesn't matter because he was the one who wanted to buy it. It's really simple, he may not like it but that's the way it is. I am sorry if this seems cold but I don't know how to say it warmly.

Why not? Isnt it better that his sis wont have tht gift card to use there? The siblings may share some of the genes and traits associated with it. May be its better for the costco to dis-associate with the likes of your collegue and his/her siblings and friends and associates?

• me

Similar thing happened to me. I am a member and I brought my father one day with me. He wanted to buy over $1000.00 worth of stuff and they would not let him because he was not a member, only I was (he wanted to pay by credit card). They lost over $1000. Then I joined BJ's and they give me no problem if I bring him.

Costco is very strict about who it will let even shop there, let alone buy there. I guess gift cards are under the same restrictions.

Business is buisness they want you to pay for a membership. It's not good business, but it is buisness, ask them why not? And I'm sure you did, and what did they say?

I don't like Costco anymore.

maybe it's because you're not a member, so it won't let you. try calling their customer service and maybe you can buy it over the phone.

Because they want their membership fees.