Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My dad has a drinking problem. Is there anything I can do to help him?

Ever since I can remember my dad has been drinking. The reason why my parents got divorced was because of his drinking. Just last July my dad got drunk and got in his car and a wrecked a whole bunch of cars along his road. Recently I went to a counselor and he told me to just remember that it's not my fault and I can't do anything to change what he did. But is there just any way that I could help my dad with his problem?

11 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Ufortunatly there really is not anything you could do to change the past, and as for his future, its really up to him. You can talk to him and tell him how his drinking has affected your life, how its hurt you and your family and how its hurting himself. Let him know you want him to get help, you can even find some help for him. And then you just have to wait and see what his decision is, becuase no matter what in the end its going to be up to him to change his life. He has to want to change, because if he doesnt no matter how hard you try you wont be able to change a thing. I know its hard to watch your father drunk all of the time, and you worry about his safety and health, but it isnt your fault and there is nothing more you can do after a certain point. Its now all up to him. Good luck, and God Bless...

  • 1 decade ago

    You could probably try taking him to a support group like Alcohol Annonimous we have that in the state of texas and supporting him with the group. Telling him that you need him in your life. It's going to be hard believe me. My mom was an alcoholic and I tried to help her in every possible way i could, she finally listen this last time when she got sentence to 8 years in jail and 5 years parole. She also had an accident with many cars nobody was hurt except for her.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    ok well i'm not going to try and play doctor phil but i would say that you just need to have a family meeting thing and sit him down and show and tell him how much that he has hurt your family point out that it worries you that he drinks so much it wont be easy but it's not impossible because he has to do most of the work you might have to actually try and show him that you dont need to get drunk to express yourself and ask him to la y off or you'll have to leave him or well not leave him but like you have to make an attempt to take something away fro him that he loves and then i think you might get through to him

    you'll eventuallly find a way

    Source(s): my honest opinion
  • 1 decade ago

    You can't force another person to change. You can only change yourself. Addiction is a difficult issue to deal with. Tell your dad that you love him and you wish that he would quit for good because you hate to see him wasting his entire life away in an altered state of mind. Tell him that you don't want to be around him when he's drinking or drunk because it hurts and that you want to be around him only when he's sober, then stick with it. You don't have to expose yourself to his foolish drunken episodes. A support group for children of alcoholics or other addictions would really help you.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Get him to realize that he has a problem. Then the two of you together can look for a program that fits the needs of you and your father. If you can't get him to admit that he has a problem, support him, love him, and by all means, don't purchase anything for him. Before I forget, don't ever drive with him when he has been drinking.

  • snvffy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Sorry to hear about your father's situation and how it is affecting your life also. My father was an alcoholic and was always drinking or drunk.

    Call Alcoholics Anonymous or Al-Anon. I understand they have programs for people whose close relatives are alcoholics. You may not be able to help your father, but you can at least maintain your own sanity. Good Luck

  • 1 decade ago

    He has to come to realize he has a problem before ANYONE can help him. Most of the time it will be when he hits rock bottom. Until then maybe if he is aware that you know he is an alcoholic he may wake up sooner !

  • 1 decade ago

    Their's a lot of help groups out their for people who have drinking problems. I would call them for help

  • 1 decade ago

    You can't help anyone until they're ready to receive your help and they're prepared to help themselves.

    All you can do is help yourself, I'd suggest Alanon to help you cope with your situation.

    I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but when they hit bottom, if he ever does, I hope he hasn't done so much damage as to be unforgiveable so you can have your father back.

    Good luck and God bless.

  • No there isn't.

    You need to realize your dad's immaturities and hope and pray that he seeks help. But as far as you helping him, it would be unhealthy and to worrysome for you to do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.