how does a college work?

Please don't think I'm stupid, the thing is that I am not sure how to choose what I'm going to study in college, I want to study engineering at the university but then what should I study in college...

I don't know this because I don't live at the US. But I'm applying as an international student.

Does anyone know around how much is a community college??

Thanks

mechanic engineering

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You would apply and take basic courses. If you know which university you want to study at, it is important to ensure the classes you take at a community college will be transferable to that particular uni. Classes such as lower level maths, chemistry and basic sciences, and English will be required for every degree, so I would suggest starting with those.

Cost depends on the college. If it is public, it can be significantly less expensive, maybe half of what the uni costs in terms of tuition and fees (at our local college vs state college). However, private colleges, of which there are several in our closest metro, cost as much or more than state college. and of course state uni are probably less expensive than regional universities.

Source(s): good luck
  • X

In the US, "college" is the same educational level as "university."

If you want to become a mechanical engineer, then you should major in engineering.

Community colleges do not offer engineering degrees. Four-year colleges do.

In the US, there are public colleges and universities, and private colleges and universities. Colleges are so called because they have one "college," the college of arts and sciences. Universities are so called because they have a number of colleges, including the college of arts and sciences, the college of education, the college of engineering, etc.

You will probably want to study at a large university with a college of engineering, or at a private college with a nationally-recognized specialization in engineering, like Carnegie Mellon.

Best wishes to you!

• Elayne

Some community colleges can be as inexpensive as $70 per credit, but it varies from place to place.

A lot of times local students will get cheaper rates than out of state students.

Also the classes for the engineering major may vary from school to school. It's best to contact the schools directly and ask for a course catalog.

If you come from a non-English speaking country, be prepared to take the TOEFL test for English competency.

Often times it is a better deal for foreign students to go to Private schools instead of state/government run universites, due to the fact that foreign students pay the full price of education. US citizens have subsidized rates, and in-state residents get a significant discount compared to what you are paying.

A private school will be more motivated to help you with educational visas that you may need.