Is it ok not to have a large enough turkey if I have a ham too?

I invited 15 people to Christmas dinner. Four declined so I bought a 14.5 pound turkey, taking into account the children and the one person I know doesn't like turkey. (for him I was going to just get a ham steak) Since then I have found out the 4 that canceled are coming and someone else is bringing an out of town guest. Of these people 2 of them are teenage boys, GROWING teenage boys. I know I do not have enough turkey to feed everyone so I bought a ham too. Is it ok to entertain and not have enough of each item to feed everyone?

The ham is 7 pounds, so I think I have enough meat. I was just wondering if it was alright not to have enough turkey to let everyone have some.

And to add, the four that had canceled had flights that went through Denver( i think) where the snow has the cancled the flights, so they called and asked if we still had the room. Just didn't want everyone to think they were terrible people.

• Vix
    Favorite Answer

Yes, this is definitely okay. First of all, we always cook too much for the holidays and have tons of leftovers. So what you think is "not enough" is probably based on your idea of normal, which is really too much.

Secondly, between the ham, the bread, the side dishes and the desserts, your guests will have plenty to round out the smaller turkey.

And lastly, you bought correctly, according to the number of people you were expecting when you shopped. It's kind of you to allow people to change their minds about showing up, but don't let that make you second guess yourself. You're doing just fine. Happy holidays. :)

• Maddy

That sounds perfect, don't worry about a thing.

Also, since most people will (out of politeness, curiosity, or just plain gluttony!!) want to try both the turkey AND the ham, serve smaller portions, and they can come back for seconds after.

We invariably have turkey or ham leftovers every time we cook it anyways, so don't worry about a thing!

And if you're still worrying, just add one more kind of appetizer, something with bread or crust, to fill them up a little more before you get to the table!!

• Lee W

You'll be fine... I actually prefer a variety of food in smaller portions anyway. Slice of turkey, a little ham... just make mashed potatoes and home made noodles to put on top, some candied yams, a green bean caserole, deviled eggs... everyone will be full & you'll have turkey left over...

Lots of people like the white meat part, so if you are really worried you could always grab a turkey breast. Something similar happened to me a few years ago and my solution was an extra turkey breast... easy to cook and great for leftovers if you end up with extra. Good luck and happy holidays!

It's fine since you have both turkey and ham. Not everyone will eat both. Remember it's Christmas everyone will be appreciative of you cooking anyways. Just fill them up with lots of carbs and you will be good to go. Good luck!

Source(s): Personal

I think it should be fine. People will probably take some off each, versus eating all of the turkey, etc and wishing there was more. I think variety is even better!

• rusrus

It's your dinner - you decide what's ok.

You can make sure the ham is delicious - that way, people will second-up on the ham. Or you can amaze them with sides. When I to Christmas, I always have two starches and two vegetables - that way there's plenty

Yes, having 2 meats is fine for the crowd you're having.

I would buy a chicken to add to the turkey meat , inexpensive & easy .

yes, it is fine. how rude of the peeps who cancelled. but it is the companionship that counts. i get the impression that people love to be around you and you could serve dogfood and they would be happy. make lots of mashed potatoes and gravy!!!