Bar exam question?

What does the character evaluation of the bar evaluate? I have never been in trouble with the law or anything like that, but I don't have the best of credit. What does the check and questions entail? Thanks for any info. If it matters, I live in Utah and will be sitting for the bar next year.

• rac
    Favorite Answer

What the bar is looking for is any flaw in your moral character; any moral terpitude, dishonesty, fraud, poor judgment, etc. As far as bad credit is concerned, it is not a problem as long as you have been honest about it and have taken steps to correct the problem. If your credit is bad and you have done nothing to correct it, then there could be a problem. If you have legal judgments against you, they will want to know the resolution of the same. If you have abided by the prevailing standards of the majority of the citizens of the State of Utah, you won't have anything to worry about.

Source(s): LDS atty from Calif

You should go the Supreme Court of your state. Their website should tell you. Or try NCBE website.

The state I reside in is pretty extensive. I would doubt they don't care too much about credit as long as you have taken some action (bankruptcy, credit counseling) and not just shafted your creditors.