Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what is the proof of the hero's formula sqrts(s-a)(s-b)(s-c) and the proof of surface area of a sphere?

actually i wanted to find out about them. please help.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here's how you prove Heron's formula. The calculations are pretty long, but straightforward.

1. The sine law implies that the area of a triangle with sides a and b subtending angle w is A = 1/2 (ab sin w); solve this for sin w.

2. The cosine law implies that, for a triangle with sides a, b, c, where a and b subtend angle w,

c2 = a2 + b2 - 2ab cos w;

solve this for cos w.

3. Now apply the Pythagorean theorem, which says that (cos w)^2 + (sin w)^2 = 1, substituting in the two expressions you just found, and crank it out. You will find

A^2 = (1/16)(a+b+c)(-a+b+c)(a-b+c)(a+b-c).

Finally, make the definition s = (1/2)(a+b+c) (s is called the semiperimeter), substitute that in, and simplify. The end result is Heron's formula.

Hope this helps,

açafrão341@yahoo.com

• 1 decade ago

S.A. of sphere comes from calculus, integral of the area patch over the whole spehere. I would guess that Hero's formula could eb derived from trigonometry (law of sines and cosines) but...uggg! I'd just accept it "as is"

• 1 decade ago

kindly refer to your math text book.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.