bonnie asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

whats the 'rule' for tipping to-go servers?

I often order food to-go and I'm never sure what if anything to tip the person who rings up my order or brings it to my car.

Update:

I'm not asking about drive through people! I think everyone is perfectly aware that you don't tip at McDonalds. My question refers to to-go servers eg. Applebees or Outback curbside ect.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no absolute rule, but when I did to-go orders, usually people gave me $1 or 50 cents. That's okay. Better than nothing.

Maybe $1.50 - $2 would be better. They do work hard.

• 1 decade ago

You should tip, because to-go orders take time from waiting on people who are eating at the restaurant.

Depending on how big the order is, maybe a dollar or two. If the order is an extreme pain in the butt for the person preparing it, tip more.

• 1 decade ago

The rule is NOTHING! You don't tip the person at the Mc Donalds drive thru, and nor do you tip the person at the local pizza place when you do a pick up.

Tips are only for Service when eating inside and being served by a waitress/waiter.

If a waitress/waiter comes to your table and gives you your order and check at the same time and never shows up again, would you tip them?

• 1 decade ago

It depends on the restaurant. I don't tip for anything but a waitress/er who's making less than minimum wage (or really special service). I've never had food brought to my car. I don't think I would tip. Be sure to check and see if you are charged something specifically for curb-side service. The tip might be included.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In a strictly to-go place like McDonald's, nothing. Sonic or someplace that brings you your food 10%. If you are getting take-out from a regular sit down restaurant 10 - 15% is appropriate.

• 1 decade ago

If my order is prepared proper and they done a good job give them a tip it makes people feel good!!

• 1 decade ago

I would say a couple of bucks, most people don't tip, just like the pizza dude.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I usually tip a couple bucks.

• 1 decade ago

It depends on what she looks like.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.