I am not able to get the 'security option' while i right click on the drive of my computer?

When i right click on the drive of my computer, i am not getting the 'security' option. Can anybody tell me how to enable/include this option. I am using windows xp sp2 operating system

Thanks

• Proto
    Favorite Answer

You must be logged in as administrator (or a user with administrator rights) for those options to appear.

• Mike

When you right click and select properties, does it have a security tab in the properties dialogue? If so then it may be a problem with the context menu.

If not, go to the general tab, the one with the pie chart showing free space etc.

What does it say the file system is? If is not NTFS then this is the probelm as only the NTFS files system supports security. FAT32 & FAT 16 are older file systems used by Windows 98 and DOS which do not have security built in.

You can use the convert command from the windows comand prompt to change FAT to NTFS if you need to setup security.

e.g CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

Would convert drive C to NTFS file system

Go to control panel > Add or remove prog > choose from the left pane Add/remove windows components > make sure that Networking services is ticked ....

there should be a sharing and security options choice that you can pick. If not you have issues.