Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How do I make hashbrowns that come out crisp & not gummy?

I mean, I know how to make them but mine always comw out very gummy and not at all tasting like the ones at the restaurants, or they come out very undercooked. Anyone have tips?

Favorite Answer

Potatoes naturally have water in them. After you grate them up, you might want to put them in a dish towel and ring out the excess water or find another way to dry out the potato so it won't have much moisture. Look at the below website.

Another key is to cook the potatoes beforehand whether it is boiling, microwaving, or baking them. Sometimes when we have leftover mashed potatoes or leftover baked or twice baked potatoes, you can use those leftovers and use them for hashbrowns.

I start with about a pound of potatoes, which will serve two generously or four as a side. Scrub them well. I like to leave the skins if they are tender, but I peel the potatoes if the skins are tough-looking. I then put them in a bowl with a teaspoon of salt, toss them well, and let it sit for about half an hour to draw off excess liquid. At the end of this time they are limp and starting to brown a bit. I put them in a sieve, run fresh water over them, which removes the brown color, and press them really well to get rid of that extra liquid, even wringing with my hands.

Now they go back in the bowl. I add a tablespoon of potato starch - which I purchase in an Asian store - and some white pepper, and toss it all well to mix it.

Now the fastest way to cook these is in individual pans you have going on the stove at the same time. If you’ve got a regular stove, you’re making four individual portions from the recipe, and you’re making a fancy, complicated breakfast, this will be monopolizing your stove for a while, so you should probably plan to cook these first and when done, pop them into the oven to stay warm while you finish up whatever else you are cooking.

You’ve got some choices, too. I personally think the crispy thin parts are the best, which means cooking in two 12″ non-stick frying pans or four 10″ ones at the same time. But you could also cook the entire recipe in the 12″ pan and cut it into wedges to serve. Decisions, decisions, decisions…

I grease the pan I am going to use or pour a tablespoon of butter, fat, or olive oil in it and drop in the potato mixture, tossing it with a fork to distribute it evenly, then pressing down. I then set the heat to medium and cook until the underside is golden brown, adding more oil if it is all absorbed and the pan gets dry. When it is golden brown, it is manageably firm, so I slip it onto a plate or a pan lid without an inner lip, invert the pan over the plate, and flip the two together so that it can brown on the other side. A little more oil will be necessary for this side to brown properly.

Now I fold it and plate it up to serve with eggs and maybe meat. A warm plate is best.

You can fry up some bacon or ham, peppers and onions to top it for a Waffle House-like treat. Also, melted cheese is yummy if you can handle it. We used to love having these smothered in bacon, onions, red peppers, and three cheeses back when I was speedskating and able to handle both casein and calorie overload.

Try potatoe pancakes-cheese grade the potatoes & onion(opt) & add garlic a bit of flour and an egg. Cook in oil & when just about done put a bit of butter in pan. Some like syrop on their or butter or sugar. Enjoy

the older your potato gets the faster you will have to move.have your pan hot i use a electric fry pan running full bore cover the bottom with cooking oil about a fourth of a inch grate your potatos as fast you can put them in the pan and what ever you do.dont put the lid on the steam makes the goo salt them well on one side only flip them once or you will make more goo.

I always boil my potatoes with the skin on first, when the skin just starts breaking, drain, let cool, remove skin, rinse, then shred. Fry at medium heat and don't turn them very often. Maybe 3 times, depending on what size of pan and how many. ( I use nuco instead of margarine when frying). I also season with pepper and Lawry's seasoned salt.

when making homeade hashbrowns after grading the raw potaoes you have to soak them for a few hours first! Mine always turned out gummy like yours until i learned to soak them in salt water first! Good Luck!

You aren't getting your oil hot enough. Always use fresh oil.