Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.


i have a ton of bills but i dont even have money for the attorney fees,this is evn after i quit paying bills. are there any agencies that will help for free

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

  • 1 decade ago

    Do a web search for your state's bar association and navigate through to the "attorney referral" section. There, you should see a listing of the legal aid service in your state or community. If you have a low income, they should be able to offer free or affordable legal assistance.

    If you don't qualify for that, you can consider filing bankruptcy on your own (pro se). Of course, there is a risk that you'll mess it up and make things worse, so read carefully about it before going through it! Nolo Press puts out good books on legal subjects for the lay person that you might want to take a look at (or buy) - the first link below is to Nolo's website.

    With the new law that went into effect, you are REQUIRED to go through credit counseling sometime within the 6 months before filing. Even if it was only medical bills or job loss that put you out, you still have to go to credit counseling. The second link below is to U.S. Trustee approved programs, which you can search for by state.

    There are two states (Alabama and North Carolina) where the U.S. Trustee has no jurisdiction. For those states, use the third link below to find the website of the bankruptcy court nearest you. There should be a link about BAPCPA, "bankruptcy reform," or "credit counseling" that will tell you which agencies have been approved.

    The good thing about these agencies is that they're all nonprofit, reputable, and they are required to serve you regardless of your ability to pay. If you have a low income, ask your counselor if you qualify for free counseling.

  • 1 decade ago

    Go to a local church (hopefully one that you're already in) and see if they have any financial counselors (whether the pastor or not).

    Go to Dave Ramsey's website and find a Financial Counselor near you (they do not sell any financial products, so they do not have a vested interest in your taking their advice). They will help you find a way to not file bankruptcy. Most people who think they do don't need to - they just need to get on a good financial plan and live on less than they make [to lower the outgo] (or take more jobs [to raise the income]).

  • 1 decade ago

    do u have free legal aid in your town? they will sometimes take those cases..In my case, I had to take the money out on the credit card to pay the's changed some now..I think you have to wait so long after w/d money before filing bankrupt but if you have to, you have to..draw it out and then wait the req. time and get a lawyer...GL

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    This site wil give you most useful information according to your request visit***********

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.