Please give me the pros and cons of the most used computer protection software ie virus, firewall spyware etc.

I do not like the automatic renewal clause associated with the purchase of Norton's computer protection software. Is Norton's that good and is there something else that is comprable?

Favorite Answer

Hmmm, Norton is a good anti virus in general, but most people dont like the fact it takes up alot more hard drive space and uses alot more RAM than most other anti virus software.

If you are looking to pay for an AV, I personally reccomend Bit Defender. Easy to install and use, and doesnt affect the performance of the computer. Also comes with a firewall. I havent found any cons using this so far, and havent had a virus in as long as I can remember!

If you're looking for a free AV, most people swear by AVG (www.grisoft.com) Again easy to use and keeps you extremely protected!

Hope this helps.

I have a trio of software that works great together. Haven't had a virus or spyware in about 3 years.

Ad Aware Personal - Anti Spyware

Avast - Anti-Virus

Zone Alarm free - firewall

Source(s): IT Professional

I can not discuss on the merit and demerits of the antivirus softwares. I can give a few links that offer free virus and spyware removers...! Norton, AVG , Avast are free antivirus software. Ad-aware, Ewido are free spyware removers. You can download free softwares at

http://fixit.in/antivirus.html and http://fixit.in/spywareremover.html

These softwaresare widely used and more reliable.

norton,McAfee the major names are crap.

antivirus:

avg-free and good.geeky interface

avast-free and good.nice user interface

nod32-the best one.also detects many spyware.u have to pay.

firewall:

zonealarm free-good for average users

zonealarm pro-triple defense firewall

antispyware:

ad-aware se personal-free and good

spybot s&d-free and good

Also use firefox with McAfee siteadvisor free and google toolbar.

I've used AVG for years, it's free and very effective, updates very frequently, just runs in the background quietly no fuss.