Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

New ceramic glass top oven: A few questions?

1) The manual says that the use of cast iron cookware is "not recommended". It says not to use glass as it will scratch. It says porcelain-enamel cookeware "may" scratch the surface. All it says for cast-iron is not recommended. Do you use cast iron, does it scratch? My cast iron pans aren't completely smooth.

2) Do you use the conditioner on the surface after you clean every time? Sometimes? Never?

3) Any other hints? Stories? Experiences?

This was a Christmas gift which is why I am completely clueless. I only found out I was getting it two days ago!

Favorite Answer

The cast iron pans are just too heavy to use on ceramic cook tops. You are risking a breakage if you drop one and that would be sad! As for the other kinds, I have used them all on my ceramic cook top and not had any problems. I would just be careful and not shake your pans back and forth on the surface of your cook top if you are concerned.

The conditioner/cleaner only really needs to be used when the surface is dirty. Clean up all spills ASAP so they don't get cooked on and become really hard to remove. Our stove came with a scraper that has blade in it to remove tough spills.

Overall, these cook tops are a blessing. They give you a little extra counter space and are really easy to clean and care for. Once you get used to it you will like it a lot.

never use Iron cast objects on glass surfaces. scratches are not the only problem on glass. Iron cast things are usually heavy and may break the glass surface. pay attention to instructions carefully. there are many important notes on them

Source(s): I'm a specialist. an industrial designer who provide technical consultancies to industries.
  • Evelyn

Ok, from what it sounds like, if in fact your crockpot was made of a clay based material...here's probably what happened: Crockpot inserts and or claypots (designed for cooking) are designed with specific uses in mind. If it was an actual "crockpot" insert designed to be used with the heating element it came with, then it wasn't designed to ever be used on the stove. Crockpots are meant for slow cooking not a rapid heat source. If it was a claypot (like a traditional beanpot) then it too wasn't designed to be used on the stove either. The heat from the stove is usually far too hot to be directed to the bottom of the cooking vessel without a piece of kitchen equipment known as a "heat diffuser". When you used it in the oven with success that was most likely a demonstration of "diffused heat" meaning that the heat wasn't directed to one specific spot and the heat is distributed evenly from all sides thus placing less stress on the cooking vessel. Many types of claybased cookware must heat gradually, evenly and slowly. An immediate change in temperature from being stored in a cool/cold area and then being placed onto something very hot, is a possible cause for cracking/breakage/exploding. I hope this helps with the explanation you were seeking.

• Bonno

CAST IRON TOO HEAVY & HARD - IF A BIG FRYING PAN SLIPS, GOODBYE $ 800.00 COOKTOP!

PORCELIAN & GLASS ARE AS HARD / HARDER THAT THE COOKING SURFACE MAY SCRATCH.