What is the best way to find the burnt out lightbulb on a strand of Christmas lights?

Favorite Answer

Visually, look for the one with a burnt looking mark on the inside surface of the glass. If it is a colored bulb, hold it up to a light source to make it easier to see.

They also make testers, but you can test with a nine volt battery, too. Just spread the copper wires at the end of the bulb out flat and touch one to each terminal on the 9 volt.

I hope you don't have many to do!

I hate to say it but the only way to do it without having a voltmeter is to replace lights one at a time with light syou know that work. since one burnt out bulb causes the whole string to stop working it is almost impossible to repair if you have 2 burnt out bulbs. the 2 best options are to buy a whole new set of just lights or a whole new string. when buying lights try and buy the kind that are hooked up with a parallel electrical connection as opposed to a series connection. that way one the light goes out just that light goes out. Cheers and Merrry Christmas

• Issym

Unfortunately you have to test each one.. As cheap are lights are now.. I would just go buy a new strand of lights.. Good luck to you.. Next time you buy lights make sure you get the ones that do not all go out if one bulb goes bad. Little more expensive but so much more worth it.

Forget looking for it. There is this little thing that you can pick up at Ace, KMART or Target that looks like a plastic gun. You simply put it in a light socket and pull the plastic trigger a couple of times and somehow it lights the entire strand up.

Good luck and Merry XMas!

They make a little voltage detector that you can put near electricity and it will light up.I've used it to find the burned out ones.It works great.

I mainly look for broken bulbs and then a grey/black ring around the end of the bulb. Have fun.

Buy a new set. Saves you time and frustration.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh Look for it!