sam y asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How should I wash my Cat?

My Cat seems a bit dirty and greasy, and I feel that he needs a wash. I wash thinking of using a wet Flannel to get him wet and them use some Shampoo and Conditioner on his coat, and then wash it off with the wet Flannel again.

Is this a good idea? And also when applying the Shampoo and Conditioner will I need to use a pet friendly product or do you think that the one I use will be okay, as im not really prepared to buy a "Pet-Friendly" one.

Thanks

Favorite Answer

At LEAST use baby tear-free shampoo because you WILL get it in his/her eyes.

I was my cat by grabbing all four paws in one hand, tight.

Wet, soap, rinse, all as fast as I can.

Then I wrap him in a towel and dry him as best I can.

He HATES it, but sometimes an older cat needs a bath.

Yes you do need to use pet friendly shampoo and conditioner as these are specially formulated just for them. Using human products can dry their skin out too much. Plus it will burn their eyes if it gets in there where as pet shampoo will not. Baby shampoo will work also since it is so mild.

If this is the first time you have washed your cat you need to place the cat in the tub or sink and use a cup or something to gently pour water over him/her to get them wet. Talk soothingly to help reduce his/her fears. Work the shampoo in good making sure to get all the way down to the skin. Do the head and face last, avoiding the eyes as much as possible. Make sure you rinse him/her thoroughly. Dry with a big soft towel. Usually I throw a towel in the dryer for a few minutes to warm it up first.

Good luck.

It would be ideal if you can get a product suited for cats as they may have an allergic reaction to people shampoo. The shampoo I use already has a conditioner in it and is designed for cats. I take the shampoo and rub it on their coat and then put them into a tub of water and rinse it off quickly. The trick is to be fast because they invariably hate it. Cats usually don't need a bath unless they get soiled with poop. Good Luck!

• Calais

Use a pet shampoo, using a flannel is good or you could try to bathe in warm water

With rubber gloves! Just kidding. I have two cats. One is odd and likes to sit in the tub and play. Go figure. The other I use pet wipes on or that bath powder your can brush out of their fur. He thinks he's getting petted and he's happy.

Hide around the corner with a hose and then call him and when he comes around squirt him with all you got! Hope I helped! : ) Kidding, cat's wash themselves but some don't do it as often as they should. I used to have 8 cats and kittens. If they trust you enough you should be able to sit down for awhile petting on them and treating them really well then have like 3 inches of water in the bottom of you sink. Then use like a soft wash cloth and sqeeze water out on to him. Then he won't be so scared of the water. Be really gentle and have cat treats near by and give them to him as you bath him! It worked like a charm for me. Hope this help! : )

Source(s): Owned 8 cats when we were in the middle of a hurricane that were caught outside in the storm.

It's never a good idea to wash a cat unless you have no other option. Try grooming him with a grooming glove or cat brush. That'll be less traumatic for both of you.

unless he is extremely muddy, cats will take care of the washing thierselves.