Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

A cold at 17 weeks pregnant?

I am 17 weeks today and have been suffering from a head cold and am developing a cough. I have never liked cough meds and cold meds, so when I get sick I usually take airborne and/or a combo of zinc,echinacea and vitamin C. Has anyone else taken these pregnant, my doctors office is closed for the holiday and won't be back until next week..Thanks

Favorite Answer

For the most part a cold has to run its course. I would get extra rest, drink plenty of fluids, and use a warm air humidifier to help with congestion. Your body can only use so much vitamin C anyway, and the rest is excreted, so it doesn't really help with a cold, but having enough vitamin C can apparently help prevent a cold. I wouldn't take any meds or herbal or natural remedies without knowing for sure that they were safe during pregnancy.

If you're really not sure, go to the ER...you can never be too careful with your health, and that of your child.

When I was pregnant, I was told I could take Tylenol, (not tylenol cold, but regular tylenol for headaches) because it's safe for baby, but better ask a doctor to be safe. You could even call the ER and talk to the doctors or nurses there and ask their advice without going in, but your best bet would be to just go to the emergency room...they're not going to throw you out or yell at you for it.

If you just want to try something at home, there's new tablets you can put in your shower (I think they're made by vick's) and the vapors help you breathe better. I wouldn't take any medication without consulting a doctor first, but I don't see anything wrong with a hot bath/shower to help you feel better.

hon, i remember from when I was pregnant recently. the doctor told me it's best not to take stuff like echinacea or nature remedies. Cough meds were ok as long as it was Robitussin DM.

Do NOT take tylenol cold!

Here is a list of meds from a Baby site that are low risk or safe to take! Good luck and Merry Christmas!!!

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/isitsaf...

My tried and true cold remedy is Tea made of fresh ginger and cinnamon, they raise the body temp a bit to kill off viruses and bacteria, and Ginger will help to loosen the mucus in your chest and head. Sweeten with a honey from your local area, to help with any allergies.

Zinc is fine to take while pregnant, as well as vitamin C as long as it's not pure ascorbic acid. If it is Ascorbic acid look for "bioflavinoids" on the package or rose-hips in the ingredients.

Source(s): I have bad reactions to most meds, have to find natural alternatives.

I've had a cold off and on this whole pregnancy it seems like! I'm 17 weeks as well. I'm not sure of that combo, but for over the holidays, I know you can any thing tyleno (like Tyleno Cold and Flu, etc.) and Sudafed. These things are on my " List of Approved Medicines"

Take a nice hot bath with epsom salts with your significant other, as the warm water and salt vapors will help with your congestion. You may also want to go to a spa with a sauna, because breathing dry steam has been known to get rid of colds. Check with your doctor first to make sure it's OK for a pregnant woman to go to a sauna.

how about some vapor rub that works great. also try to drink some lemon tea and drink oj too. its not much but you can also call the pharmacy they know what you can take pregnant as well. good luck and feel better.

im the same way......i know u can take Robotussin DM and yes u can take vitamin C also.....i do have a list from my doctor of all the things i can take but i cant find it......when i went through the same thing i didnt take any medicine either, i just worked through it