ultrasound?

can a 2d ultrasound detects baby's defects? can they measure bones?arms?etc...?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They can detect physical defects, like a cleft lib or clubbed feet. Yes, you can measure all you want on a 2d ultrasound.

• b&g4me
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes a 2d ultrasound measures the baby and can detect things like downs or a heart problem or a bone problem, can tell if the brain is developing properly, there are a thousand things they look for when they do an ultrasound, but i am not sure which defect you are talking about.

Source(s): mum21&1otw
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, that's what they are for, to measure baby and look for defects. There are many defects, however, that do not appear on any type of ultrasound, so a clear ultrasound/sonogram doesn't mean the child is without defect. That being said most babies are perfectly normal, so I wouldn't worry too much.

• 1 decade ago

sometimes it can some times not.

heart defects are often missed.

they do measure bones, that helps dedtermine age of baby.

after i had no less than 12 ultrasounds tell me my 2nd was a boy and she really was a girl i dont put to much faith in them for picking up defects

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cara M
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes! 2D ultrasounds are very detailed and much easier to read/ understand. You can even see the internal organs, heart, stomach, etc...

It's so cool to be able to take a peek at the baby and get the reassurance that things are going well.

• 1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.