Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

ultrasound?

can a 2d ultrasound detects baby's defects? can they measure bones?arms?etc...?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They can detect physical defects, like a cleft lib or clubbed feet. Yes, you can measure all you want on a 2d ultrasound.

• b&g4me
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes a 2d ultrasound measures the baby and can detect things like downs or a heart problem or a bone problem, can tell if the brain is developing properly, there are a thousand things they look for when they do an ultrasound, but i am not sure which defect you are talking about.

Source(s): mum21&1otw
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, that's what they are for, to measure baby and look for defects. There are many defects, however, that do not appear on any type of ultrasound, so a clear ultrasound/sonogram doesn't mean the child is without defect. That being said most babies are perfectly normal, so I wouldn't worry too much.

• 1 decade ago

sometimes it can some times not.

heart defects are often missed.

they do measure bones, that helps dedtermine age of baby.

after i had no less than 12 ultrasounds tell me my 2nd was a boy and she really was a girl i dont put to much faith in them for picking up defects

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cara M
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes! 2D ultrasounds are very detailed and much easier to read/ understand. You can even see the internal organs, heart, stomach, etc...

It's so cool to be able to take a peek at the baby and get the reassurance that things are going well.

• 1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.