Mike S asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Do I have to use Connecting Flight if I don't want to?

I have a round trip flight from IAD to ONT (California), stopping at LAX. Do I have to take the flight from LAX to ONT if i don't want to? I found a fare that was more than half off doing this. Same for departing, ONT-IAD, via LAX.CAn I just board on and board off from LAX? Is there a penalty for doing this? Thanks.

The flight from IAD to ONT (California) via LAX was more than half off than IAD to LAX only. It was some freak thing I booked on Travelocity (United had the same offer). Booking a flight from IAD to LAX was $515. Booking a flight from IAD-ONT, via LAX was $240. I wanted to save myself over $230, but this included a puddle jumper from LAX to ONT. My question is do I need to take this puddle jumper from LAX to ONT? Will it negate my return flight plans/ticket prices when I return to IAD? I really don't want to go to ONT since my final destination is closer to LAX. Will I be penalized for not taking that last leg from LAX to ONT? Can I booard off and on from LAX only, skipping ONT all together?

Favorite Answer

There should only be a penality for this if you have already booked your flight and paid for your tickets. Some airlines have different policies about changing flight plans, some charge fees some don't be careful though, cuz if you got it booked from a place like cheaptickets.com or orbits.com or something they also charge a fee for changing/canceling flights already booked. At the very least call up to Dulles and they can tell you =)

There is no penalty if you simply don't want to use the return portion of the ticket. If you're planning on getting a refund or exchanging it for another ticket, then there probably will be a penalty. However, if you just plan on not using the ticket, there is no penalty - you just lose the value of what you paid for it.

Source(s): I buy round trip tickets all the time, instead of one way tickets, because round trip is actually cheaper than trying to get a one way sometimes. And I simply just don't use the return flight.
  • Jim G

If you choose to NOTuse the LAX-ONT leg of your ticket its no big deal. HOWEVER, on the return you must leave from ONT. You cannot get on at LAX.

Not sure what you mean. If you bought your ticket, and it's nonrefundable, then what has the lower fare got to do with you? If you bought your ticket and it's refundable, then why don't you get a refund and rebook going cheaper to LAX only?

If you dont use ANY part of your ticket, the rest of the entire trip gets cancelled. The airlines are very strict about this. I did it one time and ended up paying over a 100.00 in to change it back.

I don't know if there is a penalty. Ask them when you check in and make sure if you get off at LAX, that your bag does, too!

Im not sure what you mean but you dont have to but if you need a flight to that place then i think you would get a nonstop flight to where ever you need