*miss lily* asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How to help an older dog get along with a new one?

in a couple of weeks I'm getting a 3 month old (spayed) female pug. currently, I have an 11 yr. old (neutered) male beagle. my question is how do I help my beagle get used to the puppy. he doesn't really care for other dogs very much. how to I go about introducing them? believe it or not, he doesn't care for other dogs but he does just fine with my two cats! all in all though, he's a sweet little dog who is extremly hipper and healthy for his age. but, I want both of them to be okay when I bring her home. any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

Chris & Pin: Thanks:)

Thank You Sara!

Thank You all!!

Mickey: Thanks that really helped. I didn't know about that!

Favorite Answer

You and your bloody spaying and neutering.You should be spayed.

The best thing you can do is put up a baby gate, have them in adjoining rooms so they can see, and most importantly to a dog, get each other's scent. When your beagle is ok with that (and don't rush this part), that's the time to let them in the same room. You need to supervise them at first and use common sense if you let them outside together - the pug is much smaller.

Puppies also can be extremely annoying to older dogs so make sure you beagle can get away from the puppy when he needs to. Always greet, pet and feed him first because he's the only used to being an only dog.

You're bringing in a young puppy, a female puppy, so if you introduce them carefully, they should be just fine. A puppy will likely help keep him young!

• Gayle

Oh yeah, I'd actually recommend getting the puppy. When my dog was 4, we got a new goldendoodle puppy, and at first she was a little mad. But it doesn't last long. The new dog will look up to the older dog, no matter what the size (trust me) and also it kind of brings out their "inner puppy". this makes the older dog more active. And pet smart has good trainers, along with if you have any kennelwood village places. they have the BEST grooming, training, etc.

When you bring the puppy home, pay a lot of attention to the older dog. In all things, defer to the older dog- he gets a treat first, he is first petted in the morning, first let outside, etc. This allows him to establish and hold on to the role of main dog in the house.

He may also do dominance play with the puppy - climbing on it, swatting it, lightly biting it, even -ummm, well, seeming to hump it. All ways of showing who is in charge.

However, do NOT let him eat the puppies food, or if he's biting hard enough to make it yelp or bleed, then you need to stop him. As time goes on, you can get to more even treatment of the two, but something reinforce the fact that he is dominant dog.

Who knows, he may just decide to let puppy be the dominant one.

Source(s): Done this, did the research, talked to professionals

We got a new puppy last year,and we have an older dog. We didn't change anything at all and after a while they grew to LOVE each other and the puppy is getting my older dog to act like a puppy. She's now more active an dmore fun,she's not laying around and sleeping anymore,now we have to stop them from playing together do much.

introduce them outside first (inside is his territory right now). keep them both on a leash so you can just let them sniff at each other. they are going to have to establish who is the alpha (most likely it will be the male since its his house and he's older) so he might growl and try to attack, but usually its not really attacking, so dont freak out. if you've ever gone to a dog park (and you might want to go find one and observe even if you dont bring your dog) you will see that there are times when a dog gets out of line and another one puts it in its place, normally its a horrible growling sound followed by a yelp and one dog getting knocked and/or pinned down. but if you look closely, its all just noise. we have a 6 month old who goes every weekend and she is just so full of energy that she wants to jump on everyone there, but some dogs dont want her in their face and they will usually growl and bite her neck and pin her down. she usually yelps as soon as they growl but before they even lay a tooth on her. its funny cause we know if she's hurt or just crying out, but the other parents think their dog is killing her or something. but its just their way of setting up an order amungst themselves and its all natural. the little nip to the neck is just a reminder of who is incharge. there is a difference between what i'm describing and an all out dog fight. THAT will need to be stopped immediatly and you need to let the instigator (probably the older dog since it will be his territory being aproched on) that its completely unacceptable. but just be patient

once they seem ok with that you can go inside. just be cautious around toys and food at this point. they can cause agression.

really, with something that young meeting something that old, there is usually the puppy factor that the older dog catches on to really quickly and is willing to deal with a little more.

my new pup is a monster to my old dog (who is blind and has no clue what is jumping on her from where) but there has never been any agression problem. the only problem we ever had was introducing our older dog to our former dog. they were both female which i'm sure was more of a problem, but the older one was 7 and the new one was only about 3 months, and she went for the older ones food and got her eye popped out. but we really think it was an accident, like just caught by a tooth or paw just perfectly. but they lived together for years (almost 10) and eventually grew to like each other.

I would not change anything if you have a routine you and your begal do stick to it and don't pet him any less or more if you know what i mean but its inportent to spend time with the younger dog as well maybe try introducing them away from the home as the begal may feel the smaller puppy is invaiding his space and get territorial.

If possible, bring something home first with the scent of the other dog. Just as you would for an existing dog and bring home an new baby. I wouldln't leave them alone at first. Maintain your schedule routine with the existing dog, and sit down with both of them together.

NATURE WILL TAKE ITS COURSE. ONE OF THE DOGS WILL BE THE BOSS OR ALPHA DOG. THIS ONE MUST BE FED FIRST, WALKED FIRST, ECT. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TELL BY THE ACTIONS OF THE DOG AS TO WHICH ONE IS THE ALPHA DOG.

Source(s): EXPERIANCE