Joonbug asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

How the heck do you fail a gender test?

At the recent Asian Games in Doha, an Indian female track athlete failed a gender test and lost his/her silver medal? How the heck do you fail a gender test? It's boggling my mind.

• Cobalt
    Favorite Answer

They generally test for a specific gene on one of the gender chromosomes. This doesn't account for endocrine-related abnormalities, though. Slate did a good explanation the other day (see link)

I read the same story and was outraged. I didn't know they had such tests for adults. When infants are born, sometimes the penis/clitoris is too small to be a penis but too large to be a clitoris (the person is intersexed), and a doctor will make an executive decision about the sex of the child. I don't know if it was something like that, or they might have checked the person's chromosomes (seems a more likely scenario) to see if it was anything other than XX or XY.

The test reports sent to the Indian Olympic Association on Sunday said Soudarajan "does not possess the sexual characteristics of a woman," The Times of India reported.

The medical evaluation panel usually includes a gynecologist, endocrinologist, psychologist and internal medicine specialist.

Ask Richard Simmons

Probably too mucular for the division she was in. Did not meet the requirements.

Haven't seen "The Crying Game" yet, have you?

She's masculine