Are you supposed to send thank you notes when you...?

Is it proper to send a thank you note when you only recieved a Christmas card from someone (no money in the card otherwise that would be a definate yes)?

I do not send out Christmas cards myself so it's not like they would get one from me in return so do I need to send a thank you note for the card and them thinking of me?

Favorite Answer

I don't find it necessary to send a thank-you note for a Christmas card. Next year maybe you could send a card. Or do like I do: send New Year cards. Just a note catching them up with news from the past year and wishing them a happy new year.

No, you don't need to send a thank you card. However, if someone sends you a Christmas card, you should send one too even if it's a little late. Many card companies also put on "Happy New Year" cards so you could send that instead as well.

There are few good answers below. I used to send dozens of cards, got a few in return. Quit sending all together but make a few "Happy Holidays" calls. Not obligated to send "thank you" notes. A bit overkill. Calls are nice. My daughter sends out cards with my grandsons Christmas photo in it, to immediate family and a few friends, I do sign those.

No i dont think that you have to, but since you dont send christmas cards out. It was very nice of them to send one to you and that is the point of christmas so yes i would send them a thank you for including you

have a good christmas!!!

You don't send thank you notes in return for cards, but calling the person to thank them for being thoughtful would be definitely be appropriate.

If it were appropriate to send a card to thank someone for a card, then people would get into a neverending cycle of card/note sending.

It's not really necessary, but I think it would be nice on your part. Either that or make a list and send out cards next year to only the people you got some from.

just give 'em a call to let them know that you appreciate that they've thought about you. I send christmas cards to everyone i hold dear every christmas. I don't expect to receive any from them, but i get so worried if the card has been delivered.

Call them, okay? Merry christmas!

No, no thank card is sent. But next year you are obligated to send a Christmas card as well to the person who sent one to you this year. Sorry. Tell them you don't like people who obligate you and to please not do so in the future.

Since you don't send cards out your self, either a call or a thank you would be nice. If you did send cards out, then this would be unnecessary.

• Kitty

I would never send a thank you for a card.

A gift is a whole other thing... Always ALWAYS say thankyou with a note of some sort for a gift. Something many parents are NOT teaching their children today, to do. How sad !!