Can I trim bradford pear tree now?

When can I trim bradford pear tree? I'd like to do it now that all the leaves have fallen off and the branches are exposed.

Will the tree be ok if trimmed now. I am in Texas, if that make a difference.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Late winter, before they bloom, cut off anything that goes against the profile: any branches that cross the canopy or shoot off to one side, one of any two that rub each other, and balance the base so the upside down ice cream cone shape is effective all the way around the lowest branches.

***double check with a garden shoppe in your area...I live in the mid-Atlantic state of Virginia and this is when they recommend here.

• Gail
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No regular grass will grow in heavy shade. You may try mondo grass, asian jasmine, or some other shade loving plant. You can try what I do and just put mulch under the tree. It will help the tree and saves you from having to mow under the tree.

• 1 decade ago

most trees should not be trimmed till winter,usually mid Janurary

• moose
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

yes this is the perfect time to do it.and next spring your pear tree will be beautiful

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • T C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

yes, now is the perfect time. It will have pleanty of time to heal before the insects are active again.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, best time., other than after flowering.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.