If you swallow styrofoam, will it poison you?

..i didnt really swallow it....i just heard it was poison

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    "Styrofoam" was invented by the Dow Company more than 50 years ago, and is primarily used as building insulation.

    Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are a key component in making this insulation. These CFCs are released into the atmosphere during the manufacturing process, and are said to contribute to the destruction of the Ozone Layer.

    The white "foam" products (cups, plates and disposable coolers) I believe you are referring to are composed of a harmless plastic derivative. If ingested, it's more likely that foam would create a blockage in the digestive tract, not poison the swallower.

    Source(s): Dow.com/styrofoam
  • Rachel
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Did it get loose and find it? I'm so sorry. Your hamster will likely not do well, and might even die. Rat poison is made to kill rodents, so you don't have much hope. I wouldn't take it to the vet before calling. If they tell you over the phone they can't help you, you've saved some money. I hate to be crude, but that's how it is. I will pray for your grief.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.