Pedro asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you agree that the American voting system should abolish straight party voting?

Incompetent judges and the like are continually re elected due to the American public voting a straight party. Americans are just too lazy to do research on each individual before casting a vote. Should straight party voting be abolished? If a judge gets 7 votes, then we tally those 7 votes. Do you agree?

Either my question is unclear or we have a lot of moronic people answering questions. READ the question.

Favorite Answer

Straight party voting can work, however, the problem is that there are only two parties and the party cleavages (demographics of appeal of the parties and alignment left-right) are SO close in the united states (4.4 and 5.5 in one study on a scale of 1.0-10.0) that there is little difference between them. If we had voting on a system of PROPOTIONAL REPRESENTATION, like in most of Europe (Ireland I cite as the best example), with a Single Transferrable Vote (STV) and multiple parties governance in america would be much more effective, representative, and quality of life would increase. My evidence for this is the success of democracies which have used this model, such as Ireland, Norway, Finland, and the Netherlands.

• Gail

The primary system we have is not in the constitution so we should reform that first. I would like to see a 3 - 4 stage process. Step 1 would be a closed primary allowing parties to pick candidates. Step 2 would be an open primary where all but the top two candidates would be eliminated.There would have to be a debate featuring the top 4 candidates. If a politician dose not show up to a debate they have officially dropped out of the race. step 3 would be a general election which would feature the electoral college as I believe it would be easier to get passed. The issue with the electoral collage is to many states are winner takes all and the problem with getting rid of it is the fact the smaller states loose their voice.

I have never, in all the years that I have been voting, voted a straight party ticket. I vote for people who I agree with and are more along my political beliefs. Some have been Republicans, a few Democrats, and some Independents!

I agree completely. I think if the little "straight ticket" box or whatever wasn't so easy to check, perhaps people might actually research things and - gasp - become informed voters. Or, if people still voted for simply one party, at least they might have to read everything on the ballot, unlike now.

I'll stop voting straight republican when the democrats in congress stop voting 100% along party lines.

• only p

If I want to vote a straight ticket that is my right. I do the research and make the choice. Who are you to say that my decision is wrong.

While I think that straight party voting is lazy and irresponsible I don't see how you could just abolish it.

No.

HOW do you abolish it? How do you prohibit a person from voting for all of the candidates of the same party?

~~~~

Right the first time. Your question is unclear.

No Way...Can you imagine the lines...all of today's young voters having to bring Mommy,or Daddy along to tell them the individual names of who they should vote for...Nah! It;s easier this way....Just vote what Mom and Dad do.....There's no need for intellectual study.....

If you're going to continue to let people of any IQ vote, then you might as well have strait ticket voting. They will NEVER research their candidates.