Donating Blood?

What are some of things they test your blood for when you donate blood? I know they of course check for HIV but do they test for anything else? I always wondered how safe it is to recieve blood from The Red Cross...

Hmm I don't know why it's in Celebrities. I asked it in General Health....

• bandit
    Favorite Answer

I've donated nearly 10 gallons over the years. There are extensive questions that are also asked which pertain to health history and medications. This along with the testing ensures a safe blood supply.

Save a life--give blood!

It seems they are constantly working to improve the safety of their blood supply. All the blood is tested for a variety of factors and if a bit down the road something comes up, the blood is recalled from hospitals. Too, they rely on people donating blood to be honest about their health as well. The screening process weeds some people out before they even give blood. Right now, they will not let me donate for another 3 or 4 years due to a melanoma diagnosis last year.

there are also tests done on donated blood that have check the overall health of the blood. Donors have discovered they have a serious medical condition thru tests done by the red cross.

Red Cross blood is as safe as anything, other than saving up your own blood for a procedure.

ABO blood type

Rh determination

Red cell antibody detection n/a/

HIV-1/2 Antibody test HIV/ AIDS

Nucleic Acid Test (NAT) HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C

Hepatitis C Anti-HCV Hepatitis C

Hepatitis B Surface Antigen test Hepatitis B

Hepatitis B Core Antibody

Syphilis Serologic test Syphilis

HTLV -I/II Antibody Human T-cell Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV)

NAT for WNV West Nile Virus (WNV)

This is the list of the test names and what they are testing for you can find it at

http://www.givelife2.org/donor/bloodsafety.asp

they check your blood for everything HIV,aids,hepatitis. any disease that an be tested through your blood. it is a very safe and effective way to donate or receive.

• SALMON

Why is this question in "celebrities"?

And yes the Red Cross is a spectacular organization...

It's probably very safe, I doubt they want lawsuits.

Nope! The damned tax-crazed government here already took all of mine. I'm running on a cheap synthetic substitute.