Games on a 16:9 Monitor?

Hi, I hope a wise computer whiz out there can help me. Here is my question:

I just got a 20.1" widescreen monitor that displays screen resolution 1680x1050 @ 60Hz very nicely (aspect ratio 16:9).

The problem is: Many of my games do not specifically support 1680x1050. As a result, I have to either run these games in a window, rather than full-screen, or have the game at full-screen but the game gets stretched side-to-side.

My question: Is there some quick, easy, and hassle-free way to have my screen switch to a 4:3 aspect ratio (with blank sidebars) for games that don't support a 16:9 aspect ratio at 1680x1050?

Thanks so much for the help! :)

Favorite Answer

Depending on the game, there are often .ini or .txt files in the game folder, if you have some of those open them and see if you can find numbers like 1024 768 or 800 600 somewhere around and read what it says before those numbers, if you have luck it will say "resolution" or something similar, edit those lines with your desired resolution. If you need further help send me an e-mail with the specific game and I can try to help you further.

Most games that don't support widescreen monitors have some official or unofficial patch for it. Remember, any widescreen resolution will display the game fine, but if your game doesn't support 16:9 at all, then you'll have to Google (errr, yahoo) for a patch.

either u sell it and get a square moniter or

you change the desktop settings (right click on desktop and go to properties-then settings there is a slide bar that u can make smaller (it helps) mine is on 1240/768

and u can change the resolution of games too =P too what eva smaller or bigger