Is it really a good idea to add sugar to a Christmas tree?

My husband added some this year and our poor tree is so pathetic and sad looking, it's downright depressing. We didn't add any last year and when we bought it they didn't give a fresh cut on the trunk. That tree lasted and smelled great until almost January. Any thoughts?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can never tell. Some people say bleach, some say sugar, some say nothing. As a kid, we never used anything!! But you may want to try a nursery website or a martha stewart type of person and ask them. I am sure they will have some better ideas. Just a couple of days to go, and the tree can officially die!! Sorry honey, I know that must be disappointing!

• 1 decade ago

I have never had a real tree but a lot of people say drill holes into the base of the trunk so the water can get in easier. Everyone i know that has real trees says aspirin, sugar and all that stuff doesn't work.

• 1 decade ago

Adding sugar will not hurt the tree. Either you bought an old tree or it should have been re cut.

Don't keep it up any longer than you have to, it's a fire hazard!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some swear by ginger ale, but there is nothing you can do now, unless you get another tree. canadian tire sells a liquid that helps preserve the tree not sure what its called.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

All you need is warm water. Since the water is absorbed quickly it should get any bacteria in it. Using warm water stops the sap from hardening on the bottom so the tree can absorb more water.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

makes no sense to add anything but water. good lord how long do you plan on having the thing in your home anyways? as soon as it gets dry throw it out and be done with it.

• 1 decade ago

i am not sure i would say not to put anything on it at all. but first... buy a new tree!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.