Do you think the thumbs up/thumbs down feature on here is a good thing?

I actually think the idea behind it (and it’s *intended* use) was a good idea, however I feel people typically tend to use it more as a vindictive, revengeful thing, or just plain negligently. Do you agree or disagree?

Favorite Answer

I agree. The original 'idea' of it is a good concept. But as with most things, its gets misused and wrongfully used and the meaning is lost.

Given that your fairly good question already got two thumbs down -- yeah, obviously the poor sorts of uses you mentioned are a problem.

That said, I just accidentally read THE most VILE question I've seen on Yahoo! Answers. I'm not easily offended, but this -- almost certainly a joke, but not funny to anybody -- was disgusting. It was some consolation that it had no thumbs up and 40+ thumbs down. And nowhere near 40 replies; it's a useful function sometimes when you just want to say "Your question is horrible and you're a bozo." I find those sorts of replies much more tedious than thumbs-down.

I also find them useful for answers that aren't bad by themselves, but which clearly show that the answerer didn't bother to read the question. And for answers with incorrect information presented as fact; in many cases, the few that say "Green comes from combining yellow and red" will get enough thumbs down that it eliminates the need for a dozen people to post "Let me make this clear -- it's yellow and blue."

Initially, the idea of thumbs-ups or downs was a good idea. Often such expressions of approvals and disapprovals hinged on whether the reader agreed with the replier's statement or it had been worded intelligently. Now, if the comments run contrary to the reader's beliefs the reply is quickly thumbed down, regardless how well the comment was put.

* A thumbs-up makes you feel good inside, and it gives you the feeling of a job well done.

* A thumbs-down makes you feel outraged, and you die a little inside.

It could be both good and bad.

If people didn't post such pointless/stupid questions and answers, Yahoo! Answers would be a better site for the people who actually need responses and advice.

Just something for you to chew on.

Source(s): The mind of a 14-year-old

I use it all the time but never vindictively only for expressing my opinion about an answer.

Actually I've only used it twice and both times has been thumbs up.

Nope.

But I do find myself giveing more Thumbs down for bad posts then I do for good posts.

>

yea..but i hate when people just thumbs down for NO reason at all

Source(s): Grrrr

It was a good idea, but it's been abused

• Beau R

Yes I think that it is a good idea, if used properly.