Do you light the Hanukkah menorah from right to left, or left to right?

I am Jewish and so is my entire family. we have just been informed that we have possibly been lighting the menorah wrong for all these years.

• Daniel
    Favorite Answer

The first night you put the candle in the right most position and light it. The second night you put the candle into the 1st position, then place the candle into the position just to the left of the right most position and light the newest candle first, then light the oldest candle. And so on down the line.

You always light the newest candle first before moving on to the older candles. So you always add from right moving left and you always light from left moving right.

• BMCR

You light it from LEFT to RIGHT. The candles, however, are generally arranged on the RIGHT side, that is, you start adding new candles from right to left.

Source(s): I've been lighting a menorah for most of my life

you put the candles in from right to left and light them from left to right...at least that's what our rabbi told us.